• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winch Maintenance

matias

E38-200 - NYC
I was reading the owner manual E38 hull and deck 1-10 regarding winch. My question is why or what potentially dangerous situations can occur do to a failed winch. thank you.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I had the same thing happen on our delivery sail, but without the broken wrist consequence. I had never seen a winch pawl failure before. After taking the mine apart, it really doesn't take much for a pawl to not engage. Just enough grease and dirt to overcome the little spring and it can't engage. It's one of those things that once it happens you immediately adjust your priorities. Would have been a lot better if I had taken the advise of others and just done the maintenance before I trusted the winch.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
The other situation to be aware of is using your winches to raise sails. A winch that does not engage regularly (or at all) can make getting sails up take extra time... time you want if your engine cuts out and you need canvas out in a hurry.

Regular winch maintenance is simple, not too time consuming, and I actually enjoy it. If your winches have not been serviced in some time the first servicing will take a little while. Just be sure to give them a LONG soak and have tools readily available to scrap off hardened grease. I found that wooden shish-ka-bob skewers work really well.

csoule13

Member III
I find this to be the most rewarding chore on a boat for the given level of effort. Make sure you have the part diagram so you know how it goes back together, and/or take photos. I get some of that orange degreaser stuff, everything in a bucket, and forget about it for a day or so. Rinse the parts well, and scrape off whatever hasn't sloughed off. Grease and oil as directed(oil the pawls, don't grease them). Reassemble and wonder how you ever lived with the winches in their previous state.

matias

E38-200 - NYC
thank you everyone!!! Im a newbie trying to learn as much as possible!!! I will try to service the winches on my boat this weekend!!!

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Please do report back. This is one of those projects where you will get a high level of satisfaction and accomplishment and there’s few opportunities for things to go far astray (e.g., 5200 cementing pedestal components together, yep, still grumpy). Do make sure to have a service kit on hand (or at least the materials) which will include the oil, grease, pawls, and springs. In terms of tools/supplies you’ll need a large box (to cut out and place over the winch so parts aren’t lost), lots of rags, degreaser of your choice (diesel fuel is mine), a bath for the parts to relocate to, plastic scrapers and other pokey things, and a screw driver. Drop cloth spread over the work area is also a good idea as hardened grease bits that get flung somewhere and then stepped on are a minor hassle (ask me how I know). I also wear nitrile gloves doing this as it makes the me clean up easier. Finally, as others have said, take lots and lots of pictures. You’ve got this.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
One of my Barient 25s for the running backs, broke some internal parts and the housing cracked. while under load. This caused the running back to rapidly loose tension. Nothing happened but under stronger conditions, you could loose your mast.

I had already spent money on new Lewmar 40s for the top deck and didn't want to spend another 1500 on a new winch for running backs which I don' use all time time so I was happy to find a used pair of Barient 25's in excellent condition on Ebay for 300.00. If you don't care about self-tailing, used Barients are dirt cheap since most people either want self-tailing or if not they want more expensive race winches.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Matias,

Maybe you already found it, but in the resources section is info about the Barient winches, and others: