• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winch Rebuild: "Barient" Replacement Pawls from Lewmar--just say NO!

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
I have no empirical evidence of their utility, but I like the look and they are a good intro-level sewing project.
Fully agreed. Along with a nice helm cover it really makes things neat and tidy when the old girl is put away. And gives the kids something to do when getting back to port.
I made a set of them for our E35-3 out of some Sunbrella that came with the boat. I plan on doing a Blog post on them. I basically followed the YouTube video posted by Sailrite, with some modifications (I made the "choker" inside a little thicker since theirs was for a non ST winch, and all of mine with the exception of the mast-mounted winch are ST). Gives you something to do during quarantine....
At the LEAST, they should absorb the UV and keep the finish on the winches a nice and deep color (black/gray/hardcoat...). All of mine are faded from being uncovered for so many years. If I were to put brand new winches on or get my existing set re-anodized, I'd cover them without question.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I was just looking for corrosion resistant exterior fasteners at Home Depot last week. Many of the boxes said "Not for use within 5 miles of saltwater."

Salt spray and vapors are hard on metals and finishes. The sun bakes dark-colored winches and hardens the grease inside.

Covers have got to help.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You fancy-pants people with your anodized winches and plans for new winches...my winches are plain bronze, unanodized, and un-gnurled, and look pretty much the same today as when the boat was 3-4 years old. Which is to say, not 'Murca's Cup amazing, but not faded, either.

My winch cover design is appallingly simple. I don't make a 360 degree internal "choker" sleeve, I sew in two tabs about 1" wide, located 180 degrees apart from each other inside the cover. I thread shock cord through the loops and tie the ends together. The shock cord, protected from the sun, lasts about 3 seasons, the same time as if it were encased in the choker sleeve. But it is easily inspected and takes two minutes to replace.

p.gazibara

Member III
"Winch covers slow that process down, allegedly."

As I'm getting ready to service my winches, I thought I'd go through these old posts to see what I could glean. It's funny, I've always wondered why someone would bother with canvas winch covers. If it works, it's worth it. Does it work, of course, really is the question.

Good question! We picked up a pair of winch covers at a discount shop somewhere along the way. We use them on our primaries when we can remember to put them on.

I just serviced the primaries and secondaries again for the first time since Nicaragua (we are in NZ). I could barely get the primaries out of the collar they are bolted to. Lots of penetrant and a heavy persuasion sledge did the trick.

In summary, no idea if the covered helped at all.

The primaries get washed with saltwater quite a bit when the wind is on the beam or forward of it.

My guess is that weather cloths would do a lot more than winch covers. ‍♂️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 13

HerbertFriedman

Member III
When I needed a part for my barient winch, I found an Australian company which stocks parts, HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches, Australia.htm. They were easy to deal with, expensive, but shipped no problem.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Barient winches, in particular, benefit from being covered up. one of the sets of pawls is directly under the main shaft. Anything that gets into the winch from the top goes directly into them. They look really stout otherwise, but this configuration is somewhat of a week point.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Some of the 80s-era Barients had a locking plate which required a special (Barient-supplied) wrench. Snip of disassembly instructions below.

*if* that is the case for your winch, here's a thread that talks about how to unscrew the plate without the Barient/Barlow tool:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12149

View attachment 24020
Sonofa... Disassembled and cleaned various winches this offseason. A couple large self tailing Andersen 46s, and some old Barients (18, 19, 21). Oddly fulfilling experience, and no issues. Until yesterday, when I went to remove the final two on the boat - a pair of Barlow 24s. One came apart quite easily, as the retaining bolt wasn't exactly tightened. (Yikes, I know.) But the other gave me a fit. After about a half hour of getting nowhere, I searched for the term "Barlow disassembly tool" and I found my answer. It is impossible to remove that hex bolt without this tool, which is impossible to find. Guess I'll be drilling a hole through my cheapest winch handle this week. Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but just further proof I should have searched here first before wasting my time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A couple large self tailing Andersen 46s, and some old Barients (18, 19, 21). Oddly fulfilling experience, and no issues. Until yesterday, when I went to remove the final two on the boat - a pair of Barlow 24s. One came apart quite easily, as the retaining bolt wasn't exactly tightened. (Yikes, I know.) But the other gave me a fit.
Bummer. Well, it has been well over three decades since the boat was built. :(

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Steve,

The Barient catalog linked below only shows the 17ST as a single speed. Notice that the 21/22ST (and the 19ST and 23ST which are not shown on this year catalog) all are VERY similar in size. All four look tall and skinny compared to the 18 and smaller and the 24ST and larger.

http://l-36.com/barient_catalog.php
Thanks for the link to the Barient catalog. I never knew that I had a “Grand Pix” 21st which I just serviced and cleaned up. It looks like new now.

Navman

Member III
I just bought A used winch handle so I can drill it out in order to service by Barient which’s on my E380. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to copy the handle with the hole in it via a 3d printer, and offer them for sale. Would there be any interest from sailors on this web site?

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I just bought A used winch handle so I can drill it out in order to service by Barient which’s on my E380. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to copy the handle with the hole in it via a 3d printer, and offer them for sale. Would there be any interest from sailors on this web site?
Not a bad idea. I actually ended up buying a relatively cheap 8" aluminum Lewmar handle that has a removable plastic piece right above the gear. Pop the piece off and there's a hole large enough to insert the hex wrench. Worked liked a charm the other day taking apart the other Barient models that required it.