• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winch service

Bobby Steele

Member II
We’re members at the Nyack Boat Club, and get the best advice from the experienced members on how to handle maintenance issues. We’ve been told how to use the ‘box method’ as well. For me, any time something has to be taken apart - I’m terrified of messing up. I was warned about the issue of parts flying out; but my winches were so gummed up, I had to pry it apart.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Always use your cell phone camera every step of the way...I have a habit of forgetting how things fit....saves a lot of heartache.

Chris Mc.

Member III
I spent quite a few hours yesterday servicing one of my Barrient 27’s. As suggested, I photo’d various stages of disassembly which made reassembly a breeze. One more 27, 21, 17, and a 10 to do. Fun fun!
Some before and after pics.

Attachments

• A43D1053-3A8B-4FC0-9A65-FB206C0BF3E5.jpeg
    A43D1053-3A8B-4FC0-9A65-FB206C0BF3E5.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 16
  • AA8F39D5-48B0-4DB4-A13C-C2E4C6488F52.jpeg
    AA8F39D5-48B0-4DB4-A13C-C2E4C6488F52.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 15FFAEFA-1E93-42F5-9CAE-A71ECB6CDD24.jpeg
    15FFAEFA-1E93-42F5-9CAE-A71ECB6CDD24.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 16

Chris Mc.

Member III
How did the brake cleaning fluid work?

Paint thinner was good on anything that was still soft, but did nothing for the dried up grease.
It worked well for blasting crud out of the bearings but not so much on the caked on grease/wax. I ended up using paint thinner which worked a whole lot better.

Chris Mc.

Member III
For anyone interested, here’s a link to some schematics for Barrient winches and others.

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
It must be something in the air. Maybe sailing season. I'm working through the seven winches on my E32-3 right now for the first time. They're all Barient self-tailing: 27s, 23s, 17s, and a 19.

I use kerosene and a toothbrush to clean. A few hours soaking seems to do the trick. Sometimes a flathead screwdriver to lightly scrape the real gnarly bits. 3-in-1 oil on the pawls and Harken winch grease evenly and lightly on the other moving parts, gears, bearings, etc. Using the workbench at home is far easier for me too.

PXL_20210412_015222742.jpg

Whoever serviced these winches last before me seemed to put grease on everything, including the pawls :( Similar to others, I could barely turn a couple of them by hand.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Way to go Bryan!
:)
Hope the reassembly goes well. I dimly recall taking apart my old car transmission when I was about 20, and finding that I had a couple of parts left over (!) when I got it back together.
'Learning experience', it was, and I had to give some scarce $ to a real mechanic to re-do the job properly. :(

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I found that diesel was good for removing old grease when I did my winches last year. But I didn't have a lot of really dry caked grease to deal with.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If ancient caked-on grease resists a toothbrush or stainless brush, stop and soak everything overnight in solvent. The varnish effect otherwise makes for unnecessary patience and hard work.

Re amount of new grease: I noticed that my new winch from Lewmar arrived with a very, very light coating, hardly more than a glisten of machine oil. Any gob of grease applied by the a-little-more-is-better impulse merely melts in the sun, descends into the pawls, and becomes in time the La Brea Tar Pits.