• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wind Vane Steering company

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A kit is a marvelous idea. These things aren't all that complicated, just a lot of parts beyond any home workshop.

You could copy a Sailomat, but that would require cutting and bending aluminum plate, anodizing, and forming the oar--which needs to be metal, for immersion, and streamlined.

Not sure I'm on board with the "look" of this one. It does seem to come off the transom easily, which I think is useful for storage.

Teranodon

Member III
I remember a particular graveyard watch on a transatlantic crossing. The windvane was steering the Van der Stadt 37 through the huge rollers, so I was just sitting alone in the cockpit, staring at it. Having studied a little control theory, I was wondering what the equation looked like, and whether the designers had actually used a mathematical formalism, or just tried different mechanical configurations and settings. Then, just for the hell of it, I reached down and torqued the rudder. To my amazement, the vane moved! With all of its gears and levers and counterweights, the thing was backdrivable!! So the pressure of the water, as well as the pressure of the wind, were in the control equation. I simply couldn't believe it, and instantly gave up trying to figure out how a human could come up with a design for such a system. Windvanes are amazing!

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
That's quite a nice price compared to some of the others. Glad to see more options getting posted on the site, I'd much rather spend $2500 and some elbow grease than $5k+

Sailingfun

Member III
Wonderful! Price is sensible less than any other wind vane on the market. Seems very similar at an hydrovane. Interesting...