• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Windlass for an E28+

rpm

Member II
This single-handler needs a windlass but the anchor locker is precisely in the way. It is too thin to help. So, the question is, what to do?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My 32-200 has a Simpson Lawrence Hyspeed manual windlass mounted immediately aft of the chain locker. There is a steel bar stowed in the chain locker that operates the winch. It seems to have been infrequently used by previous owners but still operates.

It presents a fouling problem if one lets the jib sheets get too unruly.

I suppose a manual windlass is kind of like kissing your cousin. Sure it's better than nothing, but it would be nice to have an electric motor to do the work.IMG_7673.JPG

rpm

Member II
Ouch. I hadn’t thought about the jib fouling. That about kills the whole idea. BTW. What does your chain fall into ?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I haven't actually used the windlass yet as the boat is still new to me. The curved winch side is for the rope rode and the toothed side is for the chain portion. The chain hooks into the top side of the winch and is released at the bottom.

I think the idea is to let the chain roll back into the locker as it exits the windlass.

Fouling the jib sheets isn't a huge deal unless you have let enough slack blow out to have your stopper knots employed at the cam tracks.

rpm

Member II
Your windlass isn’t above your locker which is the same problem I have. Where does the wet chain go?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Your windlass isn’t above your locker which is the same problem I have. Where does the wet chain go?
Perhaps I am not understanding your question.

You want to pull in the anchor. First you haul in the rope rode and put it in the anchor locker forward of the windlass. Then once you get to the chain, you move to the chain side of the windlass. You can collect the chain on deck until the anchor is raised, or you can try to keep the anchor locker lid open as you reel in the chain and let it pile up on top of the rope. You still have to mess with it a little. It won't disappear on its own.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I think I see a ss rub-strip on the aft edge of the anchor locker, in front of the windlass. It seems like the rode is intended to go forward, over the rub strip and down into the locker, after going around the windlass. This set-up won't have the benefit of the weight of the chain to pull the rode into the locker - I suspect it has to be continuously guided into the locker by hand to avoid it piling up under the gypsy because I imagine there's too much friction on that rub strip for chain that's already in the locker to efficiently pull the rest of it in there, over that strip.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interesting. Manual windlasses aren't popular but I wonder if they don't have a place.

Certainly not for all-chain rodes, or frequent anchoring, or really big boats with heavy ground tackle.

But with wiring and the required Ericson foredeck mods for power windlasses, simplicity is persuasive.

We are instructed to motor up to the anchor anyhow, and line is easy enough to take aboard. It's that last 30 feet of chain that's no fun to grab with the hands. If the hook is well buried the retrieval pull is awkward on the bow, and it might be nice to just stand back and pump the lever, even if it takes a while.

Armchair speculation. I don't have a windlass. I think it was Rick R. who had a manual and hated it. But that's FLorida, where folks anchor at the drop of a hat for a swim.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
As a dedicated single hander who anchors in challenging areas (raging tides and awesome depths), I find windlasses to be a pain. However, the back is an even bigger pain than the windlass is on these larger boats. 60' of 5/16 chain and 27.5 pounds of anchor are heavy to lift. I gave up on the 34 several years ago. Anchoring in 50'+ of water with a 5-1 scope out is a lot of rode to retrieve. Except for that, I would not have a windlass.

I would not have a windlass on an under 30' boat. The tackle is light enough to lift and raising goes much faster than with a windlass. The anchor rode can be led back to the cockpit for raising and a primary winch can be used to break the anchor out should it get stuck. My method tended to be bring the anchor up short, break it out then move out of the crowed area slowly and go forward to raise it the rest of the way.

The best way to practice this is to go out in the harbor all by your self and toss and retrieve the anchor until you feel confident. The worst place is in a crowded anchorage. You can also take an experienced person and just have him observe and critique afterward.

Each area has it's own challenges and rewards and it pays all boaters to learn them, not just the singlehanders.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Also, if you are going to anchor single handed or even single hand, an autopilot is a necessary piece of equipment. If you don't have one, put it on your mandatory list of things to get. The windlass is not nearly as important. The autopilot also takes care of those hours of drudgery under power. The new remotes are wonderful. and allow you the freedom of roaming the boat. The tillerpilots are not very expensive.

rpm

Member II
I can embrace the idea of moving out of a crowded anchorage with the anchor just broken. . Not great but probably the best solution.

I do have an auto pilot and that is absolutely necessary if single handing , but it wont be of use at very slow speed so your idea of dragging the anchor out of the crowded area is a very good one.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
dragging the anchor out of the crowded area

We'll be in good company.

In Tierra del Fuego, beset by "savages," Black Pedro and furious williwaws, Joshua Slocum's windlass broke. When arrows came flying, he escaped his temporary anchorages dragging hundreds of feet of kelp from his unretrieved hook.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
My kinda guy! His story is entrancing. I do recommend breaking the anchor off the bottom before slowly moving, though!

The windlass doesn't have to be a big line grabber.

P1010163-001.JPGP1010163-001.JPG

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I will add that I do have a manual windlass, a vertical one, on my (relatively) small 32-3. It works more or less as a sheet winch works, with a big handle set into the top and cranked until the anchor breaks free and comes up. Chain is fed around the chain grabber and dumps straight into the anchor locker, easy peasy.

The simplicity and ease of use is great - having a 12-15inch tall metal object sticking out of my bow area is less great.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
No! I was returning from the 2017 Rendezvous and poked into the Boat Haven in Port Townsend for the evening. It was blowing 35 at the time and my jib furler failed. Was a little frazzled and it was blowing 30+ in the marina and I was single handing so I grabbed the biggest open berth I could find. It sure was nice the next morning. Nice neighborhood.