• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Windlass in Channel Islands

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
Hi All,
I found a 38-200 that I really like and am considering purchasing. My only hesitation is that it doesn't have a windlass. I live in Oxnard (the boat is now in San Diego) and would like to be able to anchor out at the islands but without the amount of chain that would generally require a windlass I'm not sure that anchoring is a practical possibility. I've read a couple of threads where people have built larger anchor lockers. I would rather not have to do any major modifications. Just wondering what other folks with Ericsons do in this area. Thanks!!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If muscular and youthful, might not need a windlass. But I would. Most would. The issue here in California is the deep water and long retrieval.

Not a small project on the 38, but some of us have done it and as you know the procedures are well documented. Depends on how much you want an E38-200.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's just me, but I would evaluate the boat on its own, and choose the best condition vessel. I can add the windless later, and have an interesting learning experience, and be sure it's done right. A lesser vessel with a windless (or any other ham-fisted installs by prior owners) would discourage me from bidding.

A good friend of mine has a windless on his 38-200, and likes it, BTW. I do not have one, but then our anchoring needs are much more modest (10600# displacement).

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Have a boatyard do the work if you don't want to. Factor it into the purchase price.
If you want an electric windlass you may need to upgrade some wiring, perhaps even battery capacity.

It won't be the only can of worms you're obliged to open if you buy and use an experienced boat, so if this puts you off, expect to invest in professional help or buy a newer boat.

Do you really need a bigger anchor locker for the chain? Have you looked at the existing space and found it wanting? The 200 series boats are the most modern designs and the 38-200 was the Sedan DeVille of couples cruising.

If it's just a matter of wiring in a windlass and getting it bolted to your foredeck without leaks, that doesn't sound awful. Re-sizing the anchor locker? That sounds like a huge PITA.

$.02,

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
Have a boatyard do the work if you don't want to. Factor it into the purchase price.
If you want an electric windlass you may need to upgrade some wiring, perhaps even battery capacity.

It won't be the only can of worms you're obliged to open if you buy and use an experienced boat, so if this puts you off, expect to invest in professional help or buy a newer boat.

Do you really need a bigger anchor locker for the chain? Have you looked at the existing space and found it wanting? The 200 series boats are the most modern designs and the 38-200 was the Sedan DeVille of couples cruising.

If it's just a matter of wiring in a windlass and getting it bolted to your foredeck without leaks, that doesn't sound awful. Re-sizing the anchor locker? That sounds like a huge PITA.

$.02,
I mentioned resizing the locker because of what I've seen others (in this user's group do). I think they do it mostly to provide space for the windlass in the locker, not because they need more space for the rode. I wouldn't be opposed to mounting the windlass on the foredeck however I'm not clear on how the rode gets fed from the locker to the windlass. I'm only familiar with boats I've charted that feed the rode from the locker up through a hawspipe. How does what you are describing work? That might be my solution. Thanks.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I mentioned resizing the locker because of what I've seen others (in this user's group do). I think they do it mostly to provide space for the windlass in the locker, not because they need more space for the rode. I wouldn't be opposed to mounting the windlass on the foredeck however I'm not clear on how the rode gets fed from the locker to the windlass. I'm only familiar with boats I've charted that feed the rode from the locker up through a hawspipe. How does what you are describing work? That might be my solution. Thanks.
That makes sense. My experience with windlasses is really limited to my own boat. This is not an area of deep expertise for me.

I have a manual windlass mounted on the foredeck and I hand feed the chain and rode into the locker as I crank it up. I can see how mounting the windlass in the locker would occupy more space.

My understanding is that if you have some portion of the line in chain (20%? 25%?) you get the majority of the benefit of the catenary curve weight holding the anchor in a horizontal plane, then if the balance is rope it is much lighter to retrieve.

Does my windlass on the foredeck catch jib sheet occasionally? Yes, but a well-made canvas windlass cover with a skirt helps.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
An issue of Good Old Boat had a helpful article on adding a windlass, including modifying and reinforcing the anchor locker. If you'd like, I can dig up the issue number for you.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I like Tom’s approach , above. With about 1 1/2 times the boat length in chain and the rest rode, pulled by a manual windlass, you could make it work with no anchor well mods. Mind you I do sail a smaller, lighter boat at 9,600 lbs unladen. I do pull a 33 lb. Bruce and 50 feet of chain manually and sometimes it is more than I want to do. I hope to add a manual windlass. Our anchorage’s are pretty deep water sometimes. A kellet can be added to the rode if more catenary effect is needed, too.

Teranodon

Member III
I added a windlass and locker to my E34. It was a very big job. Has worked perfectly but, If I were to do it again, I would probably choose a horizontal (above deck) unit.

P.S. Nick: I'm trying to respond to your PM, but there are technical snafus.

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
An issue of Good Old Boat had a helpful article on adding a windlass, including modifying and reinforcing the anchor locker. If you'd like, I can dig up the issue number for you.
Alan, Yes I would love to see the Good Old Boat article if you can find it. Thanks.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alan, Yes I would love to see the Good Old Boat article if you can find it. Thanks.
I just checked and it is Issue 138: May/June 2021. The whole issue is devoted to anchoring, including modifying an anchor locker lid on a Bristol 29.9.