• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Windlass Install on a 32-200

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Finally got around to starting the installation of the Maxwell RC8-8 Windlass. I have a boat builder friend doing the glass work next week so I thought I would go ahead and pre-wire the entire project. Glad I did! It took a couple days.

Ordered the the wire from BestBoatwire.com and their prices are much less than others. One problem though, while they sent the 60' of #2 AWG and the terminals I ordered, they neglected to include the 200' of 16 gauge wire. When I called they seemed like they were in no hurry to rectify the situation. Thankfully, a buddy of mine had 100' of 16 on a spool.

I looked into running the wire from the battery box aft/port above the vinyl headliner to the vberth but I was afraid that it would be too heavy and make the headliner sag. I decided to run through the hanging locker (where our Mermaid AC lives), through the two cabinets and along the port side shelf where the ductwork runs forward. We then drilled two holes through to th vberth where the wire runs alongside the cushions. I then goes into the forward hold where the solenoid is mounted.

I wired an aftermarket remote switch and mounted the Maxwell switch in the cockpit. The breaker is mounted in the aft cabin.

I will make a trim cover for the wire in the berth.

*Side note: The guy who helped me commented several times on how well the Ericson is built. When we drilled for the cockpit switch, he couldn't beleive how thick the fiberglass was.

Here re are some photos of my progress.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
More photos.

More to come as we begin the fiberglass work on deck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Moving right along....

at boatyard speed.....

Here is a photo of our anchor hatch before it is removed, modified, fortified and reglassed to mount the windlass. You can see the bolt holes from the old SL Hyspeed.

Also so a photo of the Maxwell breaker installed port side in the aft cabin just under the AC vent.

They tell me the fiberglass work will completed in a week.

(Not sure why the image of the breaker is sideways. It's not on my iPad.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Finally got the hatch glassed in, holes drilled and should have the windlass mounted this week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 240

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looking good

Did you modify your chain locker in any way, or is it standard or already modified? Is there an overboard drain?

Craig

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Did you modify your chain locker in any way, or is it standard or already modified? Is there an overboard drain?

Craig

Craig, we did not have to modify the chain locker. There is an overboard drain in the bow.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Rick - I tried to send you a private message tonight and EY.o said I couldn't because you are full of it, or your mail box is full of it, or whatever. :0

How about dumping some of the useless crap I sent you so I can send some more? Or perhaps I should just take the hint.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Rick - I tried to send you a private message tonight and EY.o said I couldn't because you are full of it, or your mail box is full of it, or whatever. :0

How about dumping some of the useless crap I sent you so I can send some more? Or perhaps I should just take the hint.

Dump made! I feel better now....:rolleyes:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Finished!

Sort of...

I still need one more hinge on the opening portion.

Have a wired remote switch mounted in the cockpit and two wireless remotes on lanyards. :nerd:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 118

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd put a dummy hinge on the fixed part, too. Saves filling holes and trying to match gel coat.

What's that serving as a chain guard on the deck? I'm about to adapt one of my wife's plastic cutting boards, which are essentially Star Board.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I'd put a dummy hinge on the fixed part, too. Saves filling holes and trying to match gel coat.

What's that serving as a chain guard on the deck? I'm about to adapt one of my wife's plastic cutting boards, which are essentially Star Board.

Great idea Christian. I think I will do that.

The chain guard is a piece of teak bright work.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Rick - It looks good. Congratulations.

Is that chain on the cleat to keep people from stealing the windlass or the cleat? :confused:

Cdog

I know this is old thread. The windlass questions persists. You typically need 12” to the top of the piled up chain (manufacturers recommendations). If not, I hear the risk is high that the gypsy jams. Anyone got experience or solution to this thanks. I was thinking you might just about be able to get by if you see the chain piling and deflect it around the locker to maximize chain fall in a small shallow space. Not with hands but using a suitable wood stick for example. This assumes an opening hatch so you can see and access chain.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I tailed the windlass, like a winch. Easy, because I had an open windlass, but still doable if you can get a hand on the chain while still holding the switch closed. Knocking over a chain pile with a stick or hook could be a problem. How far could you move it?

Cdog

Tailing the windlass makes sense. From what I can see most of the currently available vertical and horizontal windlasses sort of do that (they are not “open”). The outgoing side of the windlass towards the locker is tightly covered and the chain cannot come off. I think the problem is if the chain backs up and does not freely fall away as chain comes off the windlass. I can see that using a horizontal axis windlass likely buys you another 10” approx of fall. I imagine that forming a rock solid foundation for the windlass is key. The weight of the boat goes through it (potentially). Using a stick to deflect chain only an alternative to using hands. The dangerous part of the windlass is the incoming chain side. That side is very scary. The outgoing side much safer - the side you are tailing. How dangerous this would be would depend on how much you are leaning over and into locker etc. I suppose in addition to risk of jamming fingers you need to account for very unlikely event of chain break under tension. Chain would likely fall away but it might be unpleasant.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On a 65-foot Lagoon catamaran charter, it was the first mate's job to sit in the chain locker and kick the chain pile as it came in.

The entire crew gathered each morning to watch this display of willingness, flexibility and youth.

Or maybe it was her bikini.