• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Window / Portlight repair or replace

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For Window/Portlight Repair see also:

Matt K.

Thanks everyone for all this! Great thread. I'm going to tackle this project once it stops raining in CA (what the heck it's May!). All the projects and methods for solving the problems are creative and super helpful to see. I think I'll restore the original frames and glass, but pull the aesthetics-only trim and use butyl tape and silicon to seal everything up. I like the look of glass, goes with "they don't make 'em like that anymore" vibes. Really hope to solve the leaks that I found so easily after a dozen "atmospheric river" events this winter.

I'm also thinking about adding a second hatch that I see on different E27's that look like it was an option on later models, aft of the mast. I think that's a different thread though. :cool:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
use butyl tape and silicon
Make sure not to use the silicone caulk you get at the home stores for bathrooms and kitchens, it fails quickly and leaves a slippery residue which is nearly impossible to remove and is also impossible for other stuff to stick to. Dow 795 is the exception to the no silicone on the boat rule.

I have developed an involuntary and powerful physical reaction to the word “silicone” after spending weeks (not kidding) trying to remove it from several boats. The PO’s have been cursed thousands of times over for their transgressions.