Windward Sheeting traveler

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Blogs Author
Now that is a racy cockpit. Makes me want to call out "Overlap? Sir, you have no overlap!"

Which I still do, but nowadays only in my sleep.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
With refined dialog like that, we can see why you are not posting that comment on Sailing Anarchy...!
:rolleyes:

K2MSmith

Member III
With refined dialog like that, we can see why you are not posting that comment on Sailing Anarchy...!
:rolleyes:
I’m sure I would have received some interesting responses. The joke is on me for misunderstanding how this traveler car is supposed to work :) how ingenious! The PO put a lot of tricky stuff on this boat. The car was looking a little salty so I thought i would just but another one rather than replace the parts until I saw the price. Wow - and with the 4-1 purchase option . ‘Mmm best I take care of it .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Apropos of Whatever, when I used to crew on an E-33RH, I really preferred to drive when possible... that main was suitably sized for a 40 footer... and took both work and finesse to adjust properly. It's a big 'wing' and really moves the boat! We had an expert trimmer for the main, and a good foredeck guy, so I ran winches mostly.

Loved that fractional rig -- spinnaker was not so large/tall as to steal the boat away from the driver (!). :)
Driving with the chute in 18 to 20 true was Big Fun. We ran "ran off and hid" from a C&C 35-3 that was rounding up photogenically in the big air. More than once.
:egrin:

steven

Member III
well I don't see how this is supposed to work no matter how you thread the line(s). And considering the load I'm not sure I would run it through blocks attached to cockpit side- is that typically done on the 33RH ?

My wife pointed out that once I shouted "Sta'bd" at a four way stop sign.

K2MSmith

Member III
This boat is much better than I am ! Even when sailed poorly with just the main up , I can get 6 knots . The wind here of course helps .
i have new lines all whipped and ready to install the reefs (i only have reef 1 ) , but there has not been a windless morning where I can put the main up in the slip, so I may have just take her out into the bay and find a spot where I can troll into the wind for a while while I set it up out there. I think I have figured out a way to pre-snake the the lines through the boom first. Maybe I will “volunteer” my daughter to help .

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Blogs Author
My guess is that the traveler leads are set for crew position. And that the sheet block is double--one line for gross control and the other for fine control of the main, as we had on the Soling. Or maybe I am out of touch....

K2MSmith

Member III
My guess is that the traveler leads are set for crew position. And that the sheet block is double--one line for gross control and the other for fine control of the main, as we had on the Soling. Or maybe I am out of touch....
Yes , that is exactly how it is setup , but noticed that when I “relaced” the traveler lines, it seemed like the old line may have been installed on the wrong side of the pulley on the car . When I changed it, the spacing/clearance looked better . I found a harken manual and sure enough it was wrong . I don’t think it would have made a big difference functionally other then chafing the line .

K2MSmith

Member III
well I don't see how this is supposed to work no matter how you thread the line(s). And considering the load I'm not sure I would run it through blocks attached to cockpit side- is that typically done on the 33RH ?

My wife pointed out that once I shouted "Sta'bd" at a four way stop sign.
I’m not 100% sure what the blocks in the cockpit are for :) unless you want to adjust the traveler from the opposite side of the cockpit from the helmsman (?) . I don’t use them since the traveler car is taking the load . The traveler car has a sliding mechanism that is actuated by sheet pressure to release the leeward cams.