• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Windy day...lots of interior water

Clay

Next time I'll reef when it blows 33 MPH! :scared:

Two leakage sources on my E35:

Windows: Been waiting to deal with this...cannot wait any longer. I see in archives several costly replacement options as well as something about using "Closed cell foam tape".

What is it? Is it worth pursuing?

More serious...

Lots of water on chain plates...oh yea; some rotting wood too. These were modified and repaired by another owner years ago. I hope the problem is only leaking deck plates.

How do you fix leaking deck plates? :confused:

What to do about this rotting wood at the top?

Thanks to all the many fellow sailors who read my questions and share your wisdom (and morning coffee). :hail:

Clay

"Cool Change"
Long Beach, CA

richmcn

Member I
leaking chain plates

I think this months issue of cruising world or sail has a nice article about this, fully illlustrated from every angle.

You can also look up prior posts as it has been discussed before.

Rich
Neegee
E-23
Hammond

Chris Rau

Deck Plates

When I bought my E34T there were no deck plates. Luckily, it doesn't rain much in San Diego, but when it did, it got wet inside. Initially I just pumped a bunch of silicone into the gaps but that worked loose the first time the wind blew.

So, I decided to do it right. I bought a 1.5in aluminum bar from Home Depot and a generic smooth mud flap from the local auto parts store. You already have the plates so you probably don't have to make new ones. But, using the plates as patterns, I cut the mud flaps as gaskets, making the hole for the actual chain plate very tight. Then I pumped in the sealant (Life caulk), slid the rubber over the chain plate, pumped on more sealant on top, then installed the deck plate on top of the whole thing. Problem solved.

I attached a picture of the parts. I couldn't find a picture of the finished product but you get the idea. Hopefully that can help you out.

Attachments

• pieces_sm.jpg
    pieces_sm.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 190