• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winter and wet bilge

obiwanrazzy

Member II
I'm wondering if anyone bothers to put anything in their bilges to guard against freezing. The "sump" portion of my E27 keel always has some water in it. Last year (before I had a boat), I noticed that our marina did freeze over when we had a nasty cold spell.. Since the water in the bilge is freash and the water in the marina is salt (freezes at lower temp), should I worry about the expansion of frozen water in my bilge?

I thought of putting a small amount of antifreeze in, but that isn't very eco-friendly. My second thought would be to pour in some clear liquer (vodka, sake, whatever) as the ethanol would lower the freezing point. I'm not sure if ethanol would react with the fiberglass 'tho.

Any thoughts. Or am i just a worry wart?:confused:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Brrrrrrrrrr!

Matt, Not @ all(worry-wart). I've got a half-gallon of anti-freeze in my bilge. Some water always finds it's way in even though it's on the trailer & covered.:confused: The E23 bilge is a big "ice-cube"tray!

Use the Marine/RV -60*stuff(non-toxic, propylene glycol) that's meant for engines & water systems. Me thinks that aside from being a TOTAL waste(hic), booze based alcohol would evaporate and the "interaction" issue isn't worth the risk, "older" fiberglass tanks are having "ethanol" issues!:mad: When it warms up(yah right) you can pump it into your "head" if you're worried about overboard discharge.

Last edited:

EGregerson

Member III
bilge water

I hadn't thought of anti freeze; sounds good ... til I realize; I have a bilge pump with float switch. If I'm getting water in; the anti-freeze will pump right out. If i disconnect the float switch, the incoming water will become an indoor swimming pool. Even with the float switch, I've had water fill and freeze in the bilge. While the anchor locker was out (for repairs last winter), even tho i covered it with a tarp, winds allowed water in, such that the battery wore down; then the water froze (entombing the float switch in the 'up' position) (fortunately the water didn't rise to the floor). I'd suggest attacking the problem: find and seal the leak(s). Then (I have learned) never leave a boat for extended periods. Check up on it regularly, and particularly, after storms.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Another solution is to throw a few handfuls of rocksalt in the bilge sump in the winter. It will continue to dissolve as water comes in and gets pumped out, and it will prevent the water from freezing. It just stays as solid salt at the bottom of the sump, and only dissolves more when the water is exchanged, and fresh water comes in.

I'd agree with the previous poster though. Find and seal the leaks. They'll only cause you troubles.

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Elec. pump kills batteries

I too noticed with the electric pump on auto that it just wears down the battery. Just enough water leaks in (or condenses) to trip the float. It pumps up the hose just enough to drop the water level and shut the pump off. Then all that water drains back down the hose into the bilge, tripping the float... ad infinitum.

Since the water accumulates very slowly in my case, I've just resolved to check it periodically and pump out manually when it gets a little high. The hose for the manual pump goes lower into the bilge and therefore seems to get more (but not all) water out. The elec pump is left off.

You all are right about tracking down those leaks 'tho! It's on "the list". ;) For now, I've gone down and dropped a little "green" propylene glycol in there. The rock salt idea sounds good too. Wish I thought of that before heading to the auto store. Next time..

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:

stuartm80127

Member II
Your boat is floating in the solution.

Hi Matthew,

Best thing is to fix leaks. However, 30 year old boats being boats...

Ah, You are lucky if your boat is in salt water. Buy a small 450ma solar panel and adjust your packing gland so that it drips a little more. Then your bilge will have free salt water in it and won't freeze. Pump cycles more but the charger should keep on top of that. Environ-friendly. Also, check your pump hose path. I re-did mine this summer so that the exhaust hose goes up inside the area under the sink and using a 90' ell, takes a downhill run after that to the through-hull. Shortened the length of water-filled hose that once the pump switches off, will let back into the bilge.

Stuart

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Somewhere in my bilge hose run there is a section that holds water. Because of this the hose freezes so the bilge pump won't do anything anyway. Last year when she spent the winter in the water I checked on her very frequently, 4-5 times a week. Sometimes the bilge pump would work, sometimes it would be frozen. Thats winter.

I put non-toxic RV antifreeze in my bilge and refresh it frequently as I like to pump the bilge and dry it with a sponge after rainfall. Works great.

This year the boat is out of the water. The bilge pump is shut off. The cover is quite rainproof and I check on her even more frequently anyway. No antifreeze in the bilge as it should stay dry. The mast is out.

RT

e38 owner

Member III
winter in the water

This is the second year I have kept the boat in the water. it often gets below zero
I used to use anti freeze in the bilge but worried about it causing blisters
I have found that a full cover keeps most of the water out if it wraps around the mast tightly. It also any leaks around the windows Then by leaving the bilge covers open and heat tape in the bilge any water that does get in there evaborates. I blow out the bilge pump but keep it connected. Over the two winters i don't think it has gone on. Mine is the blue and white cover

select bear lake at below web site to see the boats in the water (fresh water)
www.utahlakeview.com

Bear LAke