• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

winter cover

steven

Sustaining Member
This winter I'm leaving Whisper in the water in Annapolis area. Want to keep snow and ice out of the cockpit. Looked into shrink wrapping and it is kinda pricey. So considering having a reusable winter cover made. Any advice? Same material as sail cover (Sunbrella) or is there a better material for this application? In past I would just throw a tarp over the boom and tie it down to the toe-rail - works sort of ok and the price is right, but it doesn't look very seamanlike.

thanks

--Steve

lbertran

Member III
Top Gun Marine Fabric

Hi, Steve-
Five years ago, we had a cover made for our E35-3 by a local canvas company and we feel it was well worth it. They recommended a fabric called Top Gun and I decided to use it. I've been very happy with the results. We've had it on the boat for four winters, including the heavy snow of a couple of years ago, and the fabric looks and feels like the day we bought it. We just put the cover on our boat last weekend and we're still very pleased with the fabric and the ease of installing the cover. IMO, this fabric seems more durable and sheds dirt more easily than Sunbrella. Good luck with covering your boat.

steven

Sustaining Member
Laura,

Thanks. That is very helpful. Are you willing to share the supplier's name?

--Steve

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have a Fairclough Boom Tent on my E381. Covers bow to stern, over boom, ties of to stanchion bases, toe rail, pushpit, pulpit, etc. Cutouts around the shrouds, mast, topping lift, etc. Works very well, though you still need to knock snow off if you get a real heavy storm. I generally crawl around under it using my shoulder to push the accumulation overboard when I need to. Cost was about $1800 and it has an expected lifespan of @ 10 years. Not to bad for $180/year. I use it on the hard or in water storage. I have also put a wood frame under it when I had the mast out on the hard one year. The material is some sort of PVC coated stuff, waterproof and very durable. The only issues I've had is the stitching has let go in one spot but to be fair I was pulling on it really hard without thinking. I fixed it with my awl. Since it doesn't seal against the hull, it breathes very well but keeps most of the crap off the boat. I think it is a worthwhile purchase if you intend on keeping the boat a while. RT

lbertran

Member III
Canvas Shop

Hi, Steve-
We used Almo Canvas off route 97 in Anne Arundel. I was quite happy with their work at the time but not so much more recently.

Ericsean

Member III
Steve,

A local shop made me a cover and they also recommended the Top Gun Fabric. They gave me a life time warranty, and even replace the plastic grommets that pop off intermittenlty each year. One year, when I stayed in the water bow first, they even installed an eight foot zipper for access from the bow, at no charge! Sure you want to stay local, but they made my cover w/o measuring the boat, they had all data in their computer. The Canvas Shop, Huntington NY. Price was about 2200 for my E-38. By the way, cover goes over the toe rail, they make special pockets to cover each stanchion.

I have found that I need to add frames to keep snow off. I've used 1" sched 40 pvc, with a 90 degree fitting above the boom. I just push the pipes into the female fittingw/o using the glue.

tilwinter

Member III
The Canvas Shop, Huntington NY. Price was about 2200 for my E-38. By the way, cover goes over the toe rail, they make special pockets to cover each stanchion.

I have had two covers by The Canvas Shop, one for my previous boat, and one for my current boat. The first did not fit perfectly, but I lived with it; the second is a perfect fit. When I had a dodger made for my current boat in Annapolis, the canvas guy said he could not touch the prices of The Canvas Shop. These covers were relatively uncommon in 2001, but they are all over now. Initially no one was selling them at the Annapolis Boat show, but this year there were at least three, all using Top Gun, as I recall.

I also have found that internal frames are essential to make sure the snow slides off. When it rains, the fabric sags, and the water pools. Then the snow comes and the pool enlarges. Best to prevent the pooling. I use furring stips which are a dollar each. I tie them to the boom, and I used 2 by 4, hinged for storage, to lash to the mast and run out to the stem of the boat. Again, I tie furring strips to the ridge pole, if you will.