• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winter Cover

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Well, it's that time of year again! The mess has been increasing from the sinking recovery. Currently everything seems to being worked on. With the deck beginning to show signs of greening up and the sails being damp, I decided it was time to do the winter cover thing. A quick trip to COSTCO for two tarps, the attic for some cheap line, and Harbor freight tools for some nifty tarp clamps and viola Terra Nova is winterized.

This arraignment probably wouldn't work in snow country but here in the North West, I'm pleased with the result. For the approx. $35 spent the results are good.

Pix 1 shows the current inside situation. Pix 2, 3 and 4 show the just installed cover. The forward support is the spinnaker pole.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000656.JPG
    P1000656.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 56
  • P1000653.JPG
    P1000653.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P1000654.JPG
    P1000654.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 54
  • P1000655.JPG
    P1000655.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 54

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'll bite... If it doesn't snow what are you trying to keep off of it?

I was tempted, but I won't ask if you cover it in the summer. That would have been boorish. :nerd:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hi Tom and Loren,

Loren. I didn't go the route of extra grommets yet. Harbor Freight had these neat tarp clips than can be tied off with a line. They were on sale for $5 for a pack of four. Worth a try as they are so easy to use. I do have extra grommets in reserve, though.

Tom. Snow can happen. Everyone crashes their cars when this happens. Thee are some hilarious videos of people trying to negotiate the hilly Seattle roads after the ice and snow storms a couple of years ago. The winters here are cool and DAMP, DAMP, Damp. The deck gets green spots that turn into black spots that don't want to come off in the spring. The incessant rain finds every tiny leak and wrecks what is underneath. The anchor rode stays wet all winter yielding a moldy anchor line in spring. The pedestal gets pitted and the interior becomes musty. Our nearby log yards debris piles up on the deck all winter staining everything. The cover stops all that dead in its tracks. Also I can fix the leak in the port forward port light after I finish everything else and it can even be raining.

Winter cover good.
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000658.JPG
    P1000658.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 312

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hmm! Maybe I will have to take back a little the not for snow comments about the cover. We just had what the Great Lakes sailors would call a "Lake Effect" snow event. A Frasier River outflow crossed about 80 miles of water and hit the Olympic Mountains. The result was a significant snow event over about a 50 mile area. Lots of snow on the cars, roads and landscape. The cover was about bare (slippery tarp) but the docks were about solid ice with a small topping of snow. Am most happy except for the slipping and sliding on the way home. The neighbors were not as lucky.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000688.JPG
    P1000688.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 55
  • P1000690.JPG
    P1000690.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 35
  • P1000691.JPG
    P1000691.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 39
  • P1000693.JPG
    P1000693.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 33

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Yup! That's why I live here. I can drive 14 1/2 miles to Hurricane Ridge (5400 feet) if I want that. Living on the ocean and buried by the couple inches we have is tolerable!!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Close to Bob, but a lot higher up

I grabbed a screen shot from the roof cam @ Hurricane Ridge yesterday.
The cam is located on the roof of the Park day lodge.
Their web site indicates that the road is usually plowed for day light use in the winter. It would be neat to drive up there, like we have in the past in the summer. The cam view direction is W/SW if I recall.

Attachments

• Ridge cam 12-7-16.jpg
    Ridge cam 12-7-16.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hey Lucky Dog, Note this post was placed in the Pacific North West Forum where we can handle ridiculous Hurricane winds, giant seas, unbelievable waterfalls of rain and currents that move around like white water rapids. We even periodically bounce off rocks but god help us if any of the water solidifies! :0 It's the most fun on our roads where our drivers have no clue what that sheet of ice on the road will do to their cars.

Last edited: