• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winter Covers

Walter Pearson

Member III
Anyone know where one could find expert opinion regarding dos and don'ts of winter cover tie-down? New marina management has produced a winter storage agreement that states covers shall not be tied down to cradles, trailers, and jackstands. I understand the latter, but not the former situation and the one in the middle might depend on the trailer in question. I'm looking for something that might give me a quotable argument. I did send a request for information to Boat/U.S. with no reply as yet.

Walter Pearson

Walter Pearson

Member III
For the record, I'll answer my own question. None of the on-land storage agreements that can be found on the internet mention any restrictions other than not to tie covers to jack stands or the like. The technical editor at Seaworthy magazine could not recall claims (other than jack stand tie-down) and used the term 'remote' for problems with this practice - which evidently is as close to zero as any insurance person will go.

It turns out the situation is some paranoia from inexperience turned into legalese by a city attorney who's probably not a boater. The contract had several other issues that needed revision.

Lucky Dog

Member III
Hoping this will not be a problem in the future

Hmmmm. I saw your thread earlier, and figure you would get many responses. I am hoping to move my E-35-2 to Port Superior for next season. Do you know if your marina is changing the wording? Would be interested in learning more about your experiences on Superior.

Walter Pearson

Member III
They revised the agreement from its original form based on some of my input, but the tie-down clause remained the same. I just crossed out some words in some places, added different wording in other places, initialed the changes and had the management initial the same - and not surprisingly, they took my money and we're locked in for another haul, storage, and launch cycle. Keep in touch - I'm sure you will like Port Superior.

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Cover tiedown solutions

Saw an interesting arrangement in a marina on the West Coast. This particular boat had a fitted canvas cover and was afloat but the same should work ashore as well. The cover was simply weighted. I assume the ballast was sand contained in something like 5 lb. bags hung from the hem of the cover. With the weights spaced every few feet and with the cover extending down past the gunnell there was little opportunity for the wind to get under it.

Walter Pearson

Member III
I've seen the hanging weight system used - around here they are usually with gallon jugs filled with water followed by ice sooner of later. On land they can get to swinging and if the stored boats are close together, it can be a problem. Also, many of us have covers that go at least to the boot stripe and then you want the tie-down lines to be pulled more inward than straight down. Winter covering is one of those wonderful, typically individualistic boater things - hardly two alike. I like to take pictures in the fall and again in the spring to note what makes it and what doesn't.

ragamuffin

Member II
Shrink Wrap

I shirk wrap my boat and it is the best thing for our harsh winters in Chicago. I can also work on the boat rain, snow or shine The system uses PVC as a frame has 2 vents and a zipper access door.:egrin: Attached to the Cradle with nylon twine. Next season I hope to make a Canvass winter cover with my new Sailrite Sewing Machine.

Attachments

• RM_shrinkwrap.jpg
    RM_shrinkwrap.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 38