• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winter/Spring Projects

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Asking for Free Advice for winter/spring projects,

Discovery has always been a little wet since I purchased her 7 years ago and she and I have made several updates to repair the years of neglect that caused spongy decks and leaky ports.

Project One: is to remove the stanchions and cut out wet core from the underside of the deck, leaving the top skin in place.
Project Two: is to remove the rub rail, repair any damage found along the deck/hull joint, add three fiberglass layers over the joint and replace the rub rail.

Expectations: dry bunks and better sleep

Rub Rail Source: TACO Marine
rub rail sizing: 1.5"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You will be removing a lot of staples. I did this recently to access the underside of most of our deck. Strictly IMO, worth buying a duckbill stapler and small compressor to put the liner sections back in place.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Or, after removing all those staples, re-do with rigid, removable panels on the rebuild.
I would like to make that change, but I need every fraction of an inch of headroom in our boat. A new solid headliner would remove about an inch- maybe more, and I just cannot spare it!
:)

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Loren,

I don't need a staple remover but will pick up the air stapler. At a recent anchorage, while lounging in my bunk, I reached up and "scratched" a staple. The thing was so rotted, it came right out. Spent the night removing all staples with a finger nail. Now I have to remove staples on the other starboard side, no staple remover for me:D.

Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I found a ton of corroded factory (coated) steel staples to pull out. A lot of them broke off and I had to use long-nose pliers to work out the remaining metal. A few frustrated me enough that I gently pounded them down flush.
Laugh if you will but I did re-drive new (plated) staples -- they will last another 30 years at least. Now that our deck is 100% waterproof, there is much less chance of moisture getting to them.
Actually, our factory vinyl headliner is still looking very good, and the teak battens do cover the row of staples along the edges.

Oh, and BTW Mark, there is a reason our advice is... free. :)

EDIT: the stapler I used is a SENCO model # SJ10 for 3/8” to 5/8” or 10 mm - 16mm staples.

Last edited:

Slick470

Member III
Mark, If the staples can be removed by hand, you can probably also expect rotten wood battens and plywood furring strips that you will also want to remove and replace before you put the headliner back in.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Those staples are really buried and hard to get out of the wood, corroded or not. The pressure on the pneumatic stapler was really set high. It didn't take long to do like Lauren and just pound them flat.

My boat had split the seam under the rub-rails when pounding against a pylon in a storm and I fixed it totally from the outside. This is actually necessary, as the seam between deck and hull has a couple of plies of glass on the interior so you can not actually get to the seam. Those added coarse layers were sloppy from the factory and are NOT water-tight. There's a pretty good gap in spots between them and the seams.

1. Removed the old rub rail, then the silicone sealer beneath it.
20190112_121051-X4.jpg

2. Lightly sand the crud to the surface of the paint. It's about the only way to really get anything new to stick where silicone had been. For sanding both the surface and in the radius, a finger belt worked best:
713sUAEAoZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

20190518_200830-X4.jpg

3. Dig and grind out to clean glass.
20200312_180048-X4.jpg

This created a gap through to the inside in a number of places and in case of hairline cracks I dug a groove for the new epoxy where the seam appeared intact.
20200312_184420-X4.jpg

4. Laid blue tape along the bottom of the seam with the top half not fastened. This gave something to guide the new epoxy and hold it in the seam when the top of the tape was pressed in place. I used the TotalBoat flexible epoxy. This is what it looked like the next day when the tape was pulled off.
20200324_173124-X4.jpg

There were some gaps to add thickened epoxy into like below, but very few.
20200324_174006-X4.jpg

5. Sand smooth, fill the surface imperfections like the sanding seen above, prime, paint, and add new rub rail.