• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

WTB: Origo/Dometic 3000 Cooktop

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
I'm looking for a Origo/Dometic 2 burner cooktop if anyone happens to have one they've retired.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I see you're in Los Angeles. Are you aware that denatured alcohol is no longer sold in California?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not to provoke extra discussion, but there are several threads around the various boating forums concerning this. It appears that some boaters are/were (recently) finding alcohol still for sale in hardware stores in California.
I have zero info about where this 'ban' is happening, regarding county or city, tho.
:(
Given its use in many industries and in painting, the whole story seems quite odd to me up here in Portland. When it comes to solvents in general, all of the "usual suspects" are for sale near our house, and just yesterday I bought another gallon of lacquer thinner for $18. Seemed like it may have gone up some, but it is what it is.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Not to provoke extra discussion, but there are several threads around the various boating forums concerning this. It appears that some boaters are/were (recently) finding alcohol still for sale in hardware stores in California.
I have zero info about where this 'ban' is happening, regarding county or city, tho.
:(
Given its use in many industries and in painting, the whole story seems quite odd to me up here in Portland. When it comes to solvents in general, all of the "usual suspects" are for sale near our house, and just yesterday I bought another gallon of lacquer thinner for $18. Seemed like it may have gone up some, but it is what it is.
Hello, Loren.

Regardless of how much sense it makes, denatured alcohol has been banned for sale in California since some time in 2019. (It may have been Jan. 1, but I'm not positive.) This is a state-wide ban. The California Air Resources Board banned it due to VOCs. I'm guessing that stores were allowed to sell out their existing stock, but they definitely cannot add new stock, nor can it be imported into the state. (My go-to supplier for buying it in quantity, Zoro, explicitly states "This item has been restricted for sale in the following states: California.") At this point you won't find it at West Marine or any of the big box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, et al.). Perhaps that is because whatever was in their existing stock is long since gone. It could be that some mom and pop store somewhere still has a can or two left on their shelves.

In the interest of documenting this authoritatively, I tried navigating the Byzantine CARB site but eventually gave up.

Regarding your last paragraph: Your problem, Loren, is that you are thinking much too rationally about this. I'll let it go this time but just make sure you don't do that again. :p

Last edited:

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
It may've been pulled from Home Depot and Lowes as a solvent, but the following is from the Manhattan Beach REI store's web page:
cb794f86-fa3c-4ee7-9cfe-c01d425eeab8

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
If you look at the main REI site it says that it is not in stock and "will be back in stock soon." That's what the WestMarine site says. It's been "out of stock" on our local WM site for about a year!

However...when I went to the Manhattan Beach site, it *does* appear that I can put it in my cart and that it would be available for pickup. That's interesting. I wonder what would happen if I actually tried it?

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I'm looking for a Origo/Dometic 2 burner cooktop if anyone happens to have one they've retired.

I've got an Origo 4300E to sell that is missing one of the burner pots but those are fairly easy to find. Bought it for my boat and found it was wider than the 3000. pm me if interested.
20200605_131116-X4.jpg

20200605_131142-X4.jpg

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
If you look at the main REI site it says that it is not in stock and "will be back in stock soon." That's what the WestMarine site says. It's been "out of stock" on our local WM site for about a year!

However...when I went to the Manhattan Beach site, it *does* appear that I can put it in my cart and that it would be available for pickup. That's interesting. I wonder what would happen if I actually tried it?

My point was simply that there are other alcohols which these stoves burn just fine and I've personally tried my 3000 with Everclear. Out of curiosity, I called a hiking friend in LA who said that one of his alcohol stoves uses the same capillary action as the Origo and he uses simple Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and has tried HEET from the auto parts store. He didn't realize hardware stores had dropped denatured because he doesn't use it due to the higher expense. When we were done catching up he sent this link which shows testing of various fuels to come to the same conclusion. It's interesting to see that the two cheapest happen to be what the video found worked best. (My friend is notoriously frugal so I'm sure he knew. ;) )
btw - I looked and Pep Boys Redondo Beach does show bottles of HEET "Available today" for only $2.47.

At the end of the video testing all these stove fuels, they said that Everclear was their choice for indoor use even though it cost more. I know campers who use Everclear because in the amounts used it is not that expensive and they can mix it for their evening drinks, so they have one less thing to carry.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
When I buy denatured alcohol in quantity (5 gal. container) the cost is less than 10-cents/ounce (with free shipping).

Of course, they will no longer ship it to California since the ban. So some of these other alternatives may prove helpful to those who run out.