• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yacht Specialties Pedestal Controls [E32 1974]

jpginsu

Member I
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the Yacht Specialties Clutch and Throttle controls on their Ericson. I acquired my 1974 Ericson 32 from the Marina in 2019 and spent the last 2 years rehabbing her. Launched in June of this year. Everything is good except that using the Clutch control is a pain. Hoping to replace when I bring it in for the season. I emailed Edson and they said that they can't provide guidance on this issue. I hope someone has some information on fixing this awkward design. Any thoughts would be great. I have attached pictures of the current pedestal and controls.

Attachments

• Boat Pedestal pic 1.JPG
    Boat Pedestal pic 1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 36
  • Boat Pedestal pic 2.JPG
    Boat Pedestal pic 2.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 35
  • Boat Pedestal pic 3.JPG
    Boat Pedestal pic 3.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Boat Pedestal pic 4.JPG
    Boat Pedestal pic 4.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 36

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do you mean the gearshift lever?

Mark F (Lotus Flower) once posted this picture of such a pedestal, and the shifter lever looked like yours.

Or do you mean the controls are stiff, which usually means changing the control cables.

eson pedestal.jpg

Last edited:

jpginsu

Member I
Yes Christian, the gearshift. The problem isn't that it is stiff. The handle doesn't stay in place which causes it to slide up and down and get in the way of the steering wheel when in gear. It has a notch that's warn. I searched and found that Catalina direct is selling an Edson Clutch/throttle kit that they say can be used on the Yacht Specialties pedestal that were installed on Catalinas. I was just wondering if anyone had used the Edson on an Ericson.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You didn't ask, but it should be possible to glue the rod into its seat. Or even saw it shorter first, if desired.

There are various specialty epoxies for stainless-to-stainless bonding. Roughen the surface first.

jpginsu

Member I
Thanks, Christian. I have used a short term fix but was hoping to see if anyone had used the Edson controls as a long term solution.

jpginsu

Member I
I don't know but I have seen pictures of numerous boats with this set up. The Lotus Flower picture you provided shows the length. That's part of the other problem. To go in reverse, the lever needs to be slid down on the arm and then pulled aft. Otherwise, the lever hits the steering wheel. Maybe this is why Yacht Specialties is out of business. Poor engineering.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Jack,
What I have had to do is adjust the shift cable at the motor. It looks like your lever is slightly forward of center, is that in neutral? What does the connection look like at the engine? Maybe you could move the cable higher on the bell crank (if that's how it connects) on the engine to affect a longer throw - less throw distance at the shift lever. I'd also like to know why the lever is so long.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Assuming that cables aren't an issue (sometimes a loose cable clamp will screw things up) the underlying (probably) Fairbanks Morse control units often have a tension adjustment screw, somewhere.

FWIW, I know intimately the combined shift/throttle control (as sold by Catalina Direct, etc. AKA Fairbanks Morse SL-3) because I broke one two weeks ago and had to replace it. (Unplanned jibe, someone batted at but failed to control the mainsheet, and it hooked the lever and snapped the shaft right off.) As pertains to your situation (if I understand correctly) it clears the wheel because the lever is six inches long and is mounted 7.5 inches forward of the wheel and high enough that you can easily reach over the top. Also it's mounted at a bit of an outward-pointing angle and maybe a few inches more outboard than yours. I suppose that success would depend on the geometry of your pedestal. As far as I recall, I have not yet really gunned it in reverse, which might bring it awkwardly close to the wheel.

As it turns out, the old control was getting worn out anyway - the neutral start switch was pretty dodgy because the plastic clips and lever that hold it in place were worn out. New one was firmly screwed in place. Installation can be a bit tricky because there are multiple attachment points for the cables that provide for different sorts of Action, depending on which Side you use and the Logic of your motor.

BTW: Edson customer service was very prompt and helpful at getting just the replacement part that I needed, without the whole expensive "kit." Morse controls are never cheap though.

IMG_3934.jpeg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Now that I think about it more, if the SL-3 is indeed the control that you were looking at, there might be some difficulty in mounting the flat control unit inside your round pedestal. During my search, I saw some applications where it was mounted external to the pedestal in a sort of "pod." Seemed a bit awkward to me.
Side_Lever_Engine_Control_1660-6C-58S1__98777.1522178813.1280.1280__13077.1522178892.1280.1280__50264.1525464576.jpg

jpginsu

Member I
Thanks, Mark. Yes, it is in neutral. I'll try your suggestion when I get her on the hard in a few weeks. Unfortunately, since this boat was abandoned at the Marina 3 years before I purchased it, there are no records of any previous work or maintenance. The engine is a Palmer 60 with a Paragon OXKB reverse gear. I had a mechanic look and adjust the cables in October of 2021. Even so, it does take some push just to get it to move in reverse without actually locking in reverse. Yes, Todd, I agree that would be as awkward as what I have. I have attached the Edson control assembly that Catalina Direct says can be used with Yacht Specialties pedestals.

Attachments

• Edson engine control.pdf
    372.6 KB · Views: 22

Thalassa

Member II
The gearshift lever, at steering column, somehow got disconnected from its cable on my 1985 Ericson 32. Could one get access to the broken connection just by removing the compass? And if so, please advise how to remove the compass. If not, any suggestions of repair are more than welcome.
Peter Haenebalcke
PS. The attached picture only shows the side of the throttle control lever but they are identical in size.

Thalassa

Member II
The gearshift lever, at steering column, somehow got disconnected from its cable on my 1985 Ericson 32. Could one get access to the broken connection just by removing the compass? And if so, please advise how to remove the compass. If not, any suggestions of repair are more than welcome.
Peter Haenebalcke
PS. The attached picture only shows the side of the throttle control lever but they are identical in size.

Attachments

• IMG_3718.JPG
    IMG_3718.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 11

Thalassa

Member II
Thank you Christian for the detailed, step by step, repair procedure! Any idea how long the entire repair took you? Thanks again.

Peter

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pretty straightforward, after subtraction for the usual first-time stuff. Couple of hours at least.

The only real issue is the four big stainless machine screws holding the compass base down in the cast aluminum. If they're frozen, tricks need to be applied.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Just replaced both cables this weekend but on Edson pedestal. Replaced wheel brake and serviced wheel shaft as well. Time consuming - lots of disassembly and reassembly - but not technically difficult. Curious about the throttle setting at idle on my Yanmar 3YM30, manual says it should hit the idle button but not push on it too hard. Seems a little vague. Any specific guidance out there for setting the throttle cable position at idle? Sounds and feels OK where it is now but don’t want to mess something up through ignorance if I can avoid it.