• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yacht Specialties Wheel

gadangit

Member III
Does anyone know the wheel diameters manufactured by YS? We have a 34" diameter wheel and would like something bigger like 36-38".

Alternatively, I'd take suggestions on other options.

Chris

markvone

Sustaining Member
Somebody downsized my boat to a 36" YS and I know they made a 42" which came stock on it and the 33RH. I'm pretty sure they also made a 40" because I saw one for sale when I bought used winches a few years ago. With a 36, 40 and 42, I'd bet money they also made a 38" but I've got no proof. FWIW, the 42" is the biggest that will fit on the standard pedestal without lifting it for clearance to the deck.

The YS pedestal has a one inch non-tapered shaft with 1/4' key that will take any matching wheel hub. I added a used 48" wheel from Bacon's consignment shop in Annapolis that has no mfg name on it. Just a little less nice than the YS I took off but not noticeable day to day. Bacon's usually has a bunch of wheels in the shop and not on the website. I'm going in there soon so let me know if you'd like me to check what they have. Can't be to expensive to ship. You can also check other marine consignment shops, Craigslist and Ebay which is what I did until I found my 48" locally.

Mark

gadangit

Member III
Somebody downsized my boat to a 36" YS and I know they made a 42" which came stock on it and the 33RH. I'm pretty sure they also made a 40" because I saw one for sale when I bought used winches a few years ago. With a 36, 40 and 42, I'd bet money they also made a 38" but I've got no proof. FWIW, the 42" is the biggest that will fit on the standard pedestal without lifting it for clearance to the deck.

The YS pedestal has a one inch non-tapered shaft with 1/4' key that will take any matching wheel hub. I added a used 48" wheel from Bacon's consignment shop in Annapolis that has no mfg name on it. Just a little less nice than the YS I took off but not noticeable day to day. Bacon's usually has a bunch of wheels in the shop and not on the website. I'm going in there soon so let me know if you'd like me to check what they have. Can't be to expensive to ship. You can also check other marine consignment shops, Craigslist and Ebay which is what I did until I found my 48" locally.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I bought a 38" wheel from Boaters Resale Shop of Texas, right down the street from me. It looked fine, but it was not straight. As it turned out, someone had welded on the hub and done a very inexact job. Nothing they have in stock currently will fit our shaft.

Our boat can actually accept a pretty big wheel with the pedestal mounted up on the bridgedeck. But it is hard to get around on the way to the companionway and points forward. We don't care who makes the wheel, it will probably only get mounted when we are racing.

I would love to know what they have at Bacons. Please let me know what you find.

Chris

Guy Stevens

The 39's origningal had a 40" Wheel on them.

My 39 and my 46 wheel are the same size. I just measured it for you 40" OD.

Guy
:)

Guy Stevens

Knurled Nuts

Oh and if you go bigger get a knurled wheel nut so that you can easily remove the wheel when not actively sailing. It worked great that way.

GUy

gadangit

Member III
My 39 and my 46 wheel are the same size. I just measured it for you 40" OD.

Guy

Interesting, thanks for passing that along Guy. I've been having wheel envy for a while, now I know why. I like the knurled nut idea, I'll keep that in mind!

Chris

Guy Stevens

I have seen one of these

It was functional, and not a bad wheel. Not as nice as the originals, lacking a bit in the finish department, but a very reasonable cost option.

Guy

markvone

Sustaining Member
Chris,

If you are going to use the bigger wheel primarily for racing and pull it for access, doesn't it make sense to figure out the ideal max size wheel, see if it fits and skip anything smaller? I went up to 48", which works perfect for steering sitting outboard. I have pretty much the same access to the aft end of the cockpit regardless of wheel size due to the seat layout, so I could go with the optimal size without compromise. The 48" required a 3" pedestal lift to clear the deck AND the cockpit sides.

Mark
IMG_1740.jpg

gadangit

Member III
Chris,

If you are going to use the bigger wheel primarily for racing and pull it for access, doesn't it make sense to figure out the ideal max size wheel, see if it fits and skip anything smaller? I went up to 48", which works perfect for steering sitting outboard. I have pretty much the same access to the aft end of the cockpit regardless of wheel size due to the seat layout, so I could go with the optimal size without compromise. The 48" required a 3" pedestal lift to clear the deck AND the cockpit sides.

Mark
View attachment 15122

My what a big wheel you have sailor. Interesting thought, I'll have to ponder that some more.

Chris

gadangit

Member III
Does anyone know the wheel diameters manufactured by YS? We have a 34" diameter wheel and would like something bigger like 36-38".

Alternatively, I'd take suggestions on other options.

Chris

I'm embarrassed to admit that our wheel is only 32". Man that wheel really loads up when flying the spinnaker with a following sea.

The good news is we could go to 56" without raising the pedestal. But I think 42" is all I really need. I see Lewmar makes a 42" folding wheel with leather wrap, $800 on Defender. Maybe Santa will be nice this year.

Chris

markvone

Sustaining Member
Wheels at Bacon's Annapolis

Chris,

I was in Bacon's today dropping off a couple of old sails to sell and took a look at the wall of wheels. There appear to be 7 in your size range 40-48". Two of them had only small tags so I could not read actual size or hub type (taper or straight) from the floor. Shop does not have a list of these items they can access or print (you have to wonder how much more they would sell if everyone on the web could see what they have). I'll PM you with details and pictures.

Mark

gadangit

Member III
We found a 40" wheel at the local resale shop for just $120! Sweet!
I have to say though, it is a completely different experience steering. I believe it is easier to keep on my line when pointing, but the "quicker" maneuvering is much slower. Steering is better/easier from the high side as well.

Thanks for everyone's input and Mark's offer at Bacons, we appreciated it.

Chris