• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yanmar 1GM Oil Pressure

wynkoop

Member III
So testing over the weekend showed that the 1GM10 I am repowering Silver Maiden with has idiot light switches for Oil Pressure and Water Temp. I have fitted a digital Temp Gauge with the sensor attached by hose clamp to the water out of the engine port, and I think that will do for temp, but I am wanting to actually have an oil pressure gauge. I think I can reuse the gauge from the old Palmer. I have found yanmar to npt adapters, but what I have not found is the normal operating oil pressure for the 1GM10 so I can get the right sender unit.

Can anyone shed some light on the normal operating pressure?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I would buy a sender that matches the gauge scale. I believe the senders are all 240 ohms at 0 psi. Easy to verify.

wynkoop

Member III
Good advice Tom, but the gauge is from the old Palmer P-60. If the Yanmar has the same normal operating pressure that is fine, but if it does not then I need both the sender and the gauge. In any case I need to know the normal operating pressure for the Yanmar 1GM10.

I have looked in the 1GM10 manual but have not found it. Maybe I need to print the darn thing out. I find it easier to find stuff on paper than on the screen.

wynkoop

Member III
Thanks so much guys! Now next time I am at the boat I will have a fast look at my gauge and decide if I need just a sender/adapter or if I need a gauge too.

I have no idea why I could not find it in the PDF of the manual, but like I said I find it easier to search paper.

Alan did your boat come with the 1GM or is it a retrofit?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks so much guys! Now next time I am at the boat I will have a fast look at my gauge and decide if I need just a sender/adapter or if I need a gauge too.

I have no idea why I could not find it in the PDF of the manual, but like I said I find it easier to search paper.

Alan did your boat come with the 1GM or is it a retrofit?
My E26-2 came with a 1GM from the factory.

wynkoop

Member III
Thanks Alan that makes me feel more confident that the 1GM will push silver maiden. Now if I can only work out what shift cable I need. Called Teleflex under their new name and got zero help on cable selection. My old cable from the Palmer is broken and frozen.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Alan that makes me feel more confident that the 1GM will push silver maiden. Now if I can only work out what shift cable I need. Called Teleflex under their new name and got zero help on cable selection. My old cable from the Palmer is broken and frozen.
The amount of power for my 5300# E26 is marginal.

wynkoop

Member III
Well now I am starting to regret the decision to move to the 1gm10 from the Palmer P60. Maybe I should have shipped it to California for rebuild.

When I spoke to Bruce King in the late 80s or early 90s he told me the E27 really needed only about 6HP but the P60 and atomic 4 were the smallest engines available in 1974.

Well I guess I will see soon enough.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well now I am starting to regret the decision to move to the 1gm10 from the Palmer P60. Maybe I should have shipped it to California for rebuild.

When I spoke to Bruce King in the late 80s or early 90s he told me the E27 really needed only about 6HP but the P60 and atomic 4 were the smallest engines available in 1974.
Well I guess I will see soon enough.
Strictly "FWIW" a good friend replaced the stock A4 in his E-27, back in the 90's. He went with a Yanmar single of about 8 or 10 hp, I forget exactly which.
The only time he said that he wished he had put in a twin was one (of several ) offshore trips up the Washington coat when the head wind was in the high teens and the sea state was was at 3 to 4 foot seas, closely spaced .... as they are likely to be in the late afternoon. He said that a succession of big seas could momentarily halt progress but the boat would then work back up to 5 kts.
No problems in smooth or moderate seas. Fuel consumption was miniscule.
He was single-handing up to the west side of Vancouver Is.
I would guess that you will be fine. The most important thing is to have the correct pitch and size of prop. (There are oodles of sailboats laboring along, going slow no matter what engine they have, because their prop is wrong.)

wynkoop

Member III
Loren-

Thanks. I have not changed the prop because the RPM out of the gearbox for the 1GM10 is the same as the RPM out of the gearbox for the P-60. I figured I would give it a try this summer and see how it goes before doing any prop changes, but I expect with the same RPM at the shaft I should be good.

I think I can live with what you describe. It was nice having the excess horsepower. There was a time when I towed another 27 footer and a 24 footer behind that to take them up the Hudson river about 50 miles for winter hauling because our little fleet got a deal and I was the only one free to move the boats. I probably will not be doing that again!

I hope to do the first start test this weekend. I have run the engine on the bench, but not the boat yet. Will not have my pressure gauge yet, but will rig an idiot light for safety.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I may be remembering this wrong, but didn't former E27-owner Jeff Asbury, who used to frequent this list, have a 1GM10 in his boat? If I'm not mistaken, he still pops into this forum from time to time so maybe he will weigh in (or could be private messaged).