• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

YES! ...It IS an Ericson, why do you ask??

kapnkd

kapnkd
As we FINALLY have (well, almost) finished our “Never Ending Project” that included: New bulkheads, chainplates, some rigging, new interior cabinetry and refinements such as adding factory made drawers to the hanging locker, creating and wiring a Blue Seas AC/DC PANEL cabinet, re-plumbing fresh water system with a new pump, new head and sink plus more functional cabinetry in the head, ambient and concealed floor lighting, adding a third battery, pulling and cleaning the fuel tank, beefing up the rudder post top support and quadrant steering blocks, strengthening the bridge deck for the steering pedestal, adding the latest instruments & GPS AND a rebuild of backstay adjuster.....”CaryOn” left the slip for a sail this Friday evening for the first time in close to 9 years!!!

I added one more (to me) necessary item. ...A special COMPASS COVER to commemorate the old advertising slogan, “An Ericson is Forever”

...47 years (original owner) and NOW stronger than ever!!!
1C3345F5-B1EB-4D13-AAEC-6D4ECE436A48.jpeg92C20A0E-D2EF-48F5-9BC0-F34E1BF462CF.jpegAC944281-2371-4375-B0C5-FA186B73F8D7.jpeg

Attachments

• 09505C86-B071-4A18-B4FC-BE5AC41978D9.jpeg
    09505C86-B071-4A18-B4FC-BE5AC41978D9.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 8B67F66B-D290-43FA-A1B5-775A9545E475.jpeg
    8B67F66B-D290-43FA-A1B5-775A9545E475.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 117

kapnkd

kapnkd
Beautiful work!
Did you do anything to the portlight frames to make them look so new?

Thank you Paul! ...Labor of LOVE for sure!! ...My son, Cary, rightfully gets the MAJORITY of the credit. He's grown up on the boat, loves her as much and more than I do and - now as an engineer - has upgraded her overall strengths and efficiencies with the latest and greatest of technologies. I've always done my own work over the years but he takes what I used to do to a whole NEW level of professionalism and adherence to ABYC and COLREG standards. (Check out the attached photo of how he wired all our electrics into one Blue Seas panel for AC & DC distribution. Looks to me like the inside of an old 50's/60's TV set!!!)

Electrical Panel Finished.jpg

YES! ...Forgot to put the Ports on our list. We pulled ALL windows/ports out completely replaced the glass in the smaller ones (luckily the original glass was OK in the larger ones), cleaned and painted the aluminum frames, put in new seals between the aluminum & glass and finally reinstalled them using butyl rubber between the frames and cabin sides.

Somewhere on the EYO site is a post I wrote on what we did and a frame I made to compress the larger port frames back together again.

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks Christian, ...YOU are a much better website navigator (and probably naval navigator) than I!!!) :egrin::egrin::egrin:

My navigation goes back to using RDF's, then Loran which had to be interpolated and plotted to finally GPS and where we are today. Loved the idea of learning celestial but didn't have the time during my working career to refine it.

Thanks Christian for the link for Paul!....
Fair Winds!!

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Please don't say an untruth..kapnkd...you just bought that brand new off the showroom floor from Bruce King this morning! WOW

kapnkd

kapnkd
LOL!!! ...THANKS so MUCH for your wonderful compliment as that would have actually been SO MUCH EASIER ...and probably cheaper to do! :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

I TRULY have my son to thank for most of the really HARD work. It HAS been mostly a labor of love for both of us as our boat has been regarded as "FAMILY" after so many years plus my son growing up on her.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
As we FINALLY have (well, almost) finished our “Never Ending Project” that included: New bulkheads, chainplates, some rigging, new interior cabinetry and refinements such as adding factory made drawers to the hanging locker, creating and wiring a Blue Seas AC/DC PANEL cabinet, re-plumbing fresh water system with a new pump, new head and sink plus more functional cabinetry in the head, ambient and concealed floor lighting, adding a third battery, pulling and cleaning the fuel tank, beefing up the rudder post top support and quadrant steering blocks, strengthening the bridge deck for the steering pedestal, adding the latest instruments & GPS AND a rebuild of backstay adjuster.....”CaryOn” left the slip for a sail this Friday evening for the first time in close to 9 years!!!

I added one more (to me) necessary item. ...A special COMPASS COVER to commemorate the old advertising slogan, “An Ericson is Forever”

...47 years (original owner) and NOW stronger than ever!!!
View attachment 34901View attachment 34903View attachment 34906

Show em that exterior shot!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Looks amazing!
THANKS!! What is Amazing now is the realization she is ACTUALLY (for the most part) finished!!! ...It WAS THE "Never Ending Project!" yet WE, as father and son NEVER lost sight of our goal!! It WAS another bonding agent of love of sailing and a boat that has been a VERY integral part of our lives since he could barely walk around on her decks or cabin.

God Bless Sean....He has IMMEDIATELY responded asking what size the video file is. (It's about 5.5mb) so we shall see!

Keep in mind, it's NOT much other than CaryOn leaving the dock, turning and heading out for an almost maiden voyage after all these years.

BUT TO US - It WAS a MAJOR accomplishment of persistence and determination to bring our family member BACK to above her original condition!

After all, she IS family AND an Ericson!!! ;)

kapnkd

kapnkd

I just heard from Sean that it's unfortunately not possible to upload a video at this point, ...SO ....here's a couple of her dockside ready to go in the last stages - just NOT a video...

DO Note the updated bow pulpit with double lifelines and now even a bow roller custom built INTO the front, not to mention leading to a Lewmar Low Profile Windlass!!.

Attachments

• Ericson Finished 6.jpg
    Ericson Finished 6.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Ericson Finished 7.jpg
    Ericson Finished 7.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Ericson Finished 8.jpg
    Ericson Finished 8.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 64

kapnkd

kapnkd
We WANT A VIDEO...or it NEVER HAPPENED!

So sorry BUT Sean says, "No can do" with a video at this point. :( It was mostly a special moment for us actually leaving the dock/slip on her way to the race course for the first time in forever. ...Here's at least a photo of just casting off the dock lines and one more on the water after the race enjoying the sunset.
First Sail in FOREVER.jpg
Sunset.jpg

The boat did well on her shake down cruise and race...taking a 2nd place with NO boats being able to pass her on the course. My son said, with the new bulkheads and serious cabin top reinforcements under the mast, not to mention top rudder post strengthening - no one outpointed her either. Seems she's performing beautifully on her first in forever!!

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Videos need to be posted here as links to video sites. First, upload to a host such as YouTube or Vimeo, which are free for basic services.

It's a simple process and the new software here handles video links well, or at least up to the new common standard.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Kapnkd, Congratulations on finishing the refit and leaving the slip! She looks amazing!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Videos need to be posted here as links to video sites. First, upload to a host such as YouTube or Vimeo, which are free for basic services.

It's a simple process and the new software here handles video links well, or at least up to the new common standard.

Thanks Christian,

Anymore, I’m far from savy on even such easy tech issues you refer to. Of course, know of YouTube but never used it and Vimeo is a totally new word to my vocabulary!

Had NO IDEA my short little 50 second video of simply leaving our dock would have generated such interest!

I’m going to speak with my son to seek his help in logically establishing a link for said video. (Now feel like I need to do something more dramatic than just leaving the dock!!!)

I must say, for me, it WAS so good to see her turn and head out towards open waters!!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi Kapnkd, Congratulations on finishing the refit and leaving the slip! She looks amazing!

Thank you Mark!

It’s been an amazing (unsuspected) LONG journey to say the least - filled with lots of work, persistence, vision, planning and - of course - spent monies. (I just got a get well card from our local hardware store since I haven’t recently been in to buy more SS Screws & nuts!!)

It is NOW so very strange to simply slide open the companion way to actually view such a clean, neatly organized view of such an inviting completed cabin!

Of course, this weekend of completion has been filled with lots of rain and miserable sailing conditions!

No real frustrations...it’s STILL sinking in CaryOn is actually ready to sail now!!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Gorgeous! Nice work!

Thank you! Can’t begin to tell you how nice it is to finally have finished all our many major projects!

Went down to her this morning to check for leaks as we had some heavy rains last night.

...What a treat to find her bone dry at all the window ports and other usual areas of problems in the past.

It was strange not having to think about a section or project needing to be finished!!