• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yet another rig tuning thread

LameBMX

Member II
Been a little less than a couple years since the rig on my 28+ has been tuned by the riggers stepping the mast for the previous owner. Fractional rig.

Hit some heavy weather for the trip back from Cleveland Sunday afternoon to early Monday. At the dock, I noticed mast pumping sounds during some winds and when I twanged the shrouds. Gone now that the wind is low. Checked if mast was centered with the main halyard, at first it wasn't, but again with the wind dying, seems fine. I did notice the backstay seems more floppy. Doesn't look loose just sitting here. Took vid and will link lower. Also noticed the chainplates had a bit of wiggle to them. Bolts are on. And it takes a bit of a hard press to move them. Shrouds were random between 34 and 36 for 1/4" cable on a borrowed loos guage. Split stays didn't even register. On the way to Cleveland, I did notice the shrouds had a bit of flop to them.

Think I should detune and start from scratch? Or just Snug up back stay until it firms up, Snug up shrouds so mast is straight, then the final upper shroud adjustments until the shrouds aren't floppy in 15knots close hauled and finally when back at dock, Snug up lowers a bit less than the uppers (like 2 lower on the loos guage)?

Chainstay

Backstay

Of note, furler worked fine.