• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

ZF10 versus Twin Disc 340 or 360

vulcan

I'm considering changing my failed ZF 10 with a Twin Disc 340 or 360. Could anyone comment on the reliability of the Twin Disc and installation. I have a 32-200 with a Universal M-25XPB.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I had a Hurth ZF 50 on our Ericson 30+, about 800 hours on the 5416 16 hp universal diesel. The transmission began to slip at unpredictable times. I changed the fluid several times, occasionally it would turn darker than usual after even a few engine hours. Wanting reliability I decided to replace it--I had read that they aren't reliable even after repairing them. The mechanic agreed and recommended the Twin Disc 340 transmission.

Installation was fairly straight forward, though I had to reverse where the cable attached. Since then (four years ago, about 900 engine hours), the Twin Disc has also slipped a few times, but much less often than the Hurth. I have switched to Castrol Transmission fluid and it hasn't slipped since--I don't know if that is coincidence or if it will slip again.

I spoke with the Twin Disc company when it did slip and they had no answers as to why--suggested I was using the wrong fluid, but I wasn't, etc.

So I'm not a huge fan of either the Hurth, which has a terrible reputation, or the Twin Disc which also doesn't seem to be as reliable as I would like.

I baby the boat, so neither is due to rough use, and I do read the manuals to ensure I'm doing what's recommended.

Hope that helps!

Frank

lindaloo

Member II
Go bigger

If you have room to squeeze the bigger 'box in, do it.
At the Vancouver boatshow, I noticed the Vetus 3 cyl engine had a zf15 bolted on. I reckon it should handle the bad vibes better and it won't have the reverse cable issue Frank mentioned.
Likewise, go with the TMC60 rather than the 40 if you want the twin disc. Like Frank, I found Castrol works best.
One other issue with the Twin Disc is the coupler on the shaft side had to be machined out a bit. Or else use one of those rubber spacers.(I sourced my 'box from Beta dealer rather than Twin Disc dealer, May be different ......)

Rob

Last edited:

fidji

Eric
transmission

What castrol transmission oil are you using can you be more specific
Thanks
Eric

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Eric,
I'm away from the boat for a couple of weeks visiting family, so can't check the label. But I think it was just a regular ATF fluid. I suspect that another brand would also work, though when mine slipped occasionally I was using Chevron brand, so I won't use that any more.

Frank

fidji

Eric
mg 340

Hi Frank, I have a ZF 10 m previously on my diesel boat engine , and that tranny use ATF oil there is a tag that specify ATF on it. But with my new mg 360 to be sure to do the right choice of lubricant I call the service guy who said that I have to use good gear oil SAE 20 or 30 That make sense because ATF oil is for hydraulic transmission mecanisms tranny working with oil pressure pump ZF are exceptions, mg 340-360 are friction type transmission and works without oil pressure but bigger twin disk are hydraulic type and use ATF fluide

I suggest you to call the service department of twin disk in your area.
I was really surprised when the service guy told me on phone that if I use ATF oil that cancel the warranty on the product

Check that link:http://www.hellopro.co.uk/Twin_Disc-4049-noprofil-2004369-19631-0-1-1-fr-societe.html
Maybe it help
Good Wind and clear sky
Éric

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Thanks, Eric. I recall that Twin Disc made changes in their transmission and oil requirement. Mine was built before then, So still uses atf fluid. I had extensive discussions with them about their trannys and oils at that time.
I'm still puzzled as to why they and Hurth can't make solid, reliable transmissions -- there are a lot of complaints on the various websites about problems people are having.
Frank

fidji

Eric
You are right I dont understand why they don't make reliable transmission. Maybe is a question of making more monney that way?
Make sure that your damper plate fit very tight on splines of the transmission input shaft that is important
Good luck
After two sailing season my mg 360 looks ok but after 4 tranny I lost my faith
my only hope is that I put a oversize tranny on my Universal M25

Good Wind
Éric

Last edited: