HELP!- Wiring Issues

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
In the tech’s defense I think what you see draped over the battery negative is Jeff’s drawing showing the connection between the orange wire and the red coming off the battery.
Yeah, after another look, I think you're right about that. That is a little better...

Last edited:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Good idea on placement and I wonder why it wasn’t done that way. What would give the tech the idea to go back and forth across all that space instead of making the cleanest line between the two ends?

In the tech’s defense I think what you see draped over the battery negative is Jeff’s drawing showing the connection between the orange wire and the red coming off the battery. It’s too long and it’s unsecured, but I think it runs behind the battery and not over the top of it.

Somebody I know with a lifetime of experience on boats recently said he’s never finished a project without immediately realizing he could have done something differently and better :)

battery wiring 2024_4 b.jpg
Chris &/or Jim, you're correct. Here's another shot with that wire lifted up so it's fully visible, no photo editing. It's a 30a fuse. He has it set up so the clear case on the fuse block traps the wire. Maybe his attempt to keep it off the battery. That seems a little janky to me.
I'm going to get one of those battery mount units Ken highlighted.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I think Blue Sea says the capacity of these is 100A total, and 30A max per fuse, so you should be fine with a 30A fuse protecting the 4 x 5A fuse block.

Screenshot_20240415-182142.png

I actually use mine with a 40A fuse one the 30A shore power charger circuit to the battery. But I keep the total fused amperage well below 100A so I think this is a forgivable crime.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Nice! Only thing I’d ask is there a way to keep the positive wire from bearing on the negative battery cable? Maybe an anchor on the bulkhead giving it a little direction to keep it clear? Or if not tie them together so they couldn’t chafe?

Prairie Schooner

Make sure you use proper tinned wire and heat shrink terminals.

Here is a schematic I came up with for my panel replacement project (Universal Diesel engine). Note the fuel sender wire doesn't match up to the fuel gauge, its an old diagram and I can't find the new one.
View attachment 43244
And some photos of the final project here:

Some resources that might be helpful:

Wire and fuse chart: https://d2pyqm2yd3fw2i.cloudfront.net/files/resources/reference/20010.pdf
Lots of technical help: https://www.bluesea.com/support/reference
Source for wire: https://www.boatwireusa.com/
Source for terminals: https://shop.sailboatowners.com/search.php?brand=sailboat&kw=FTZ
How to install terminals: https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

Good luck with the project.

Thanks for posting these. The link from Marine How To helped me realize I was using a tool all wrong. When I started electric projects a few years ago I anted up for a ‘double crimp ratchet tool’. I thought it was to crimp both sides of a two wire connector in one operation. It didn’t do that well and I had to flip the tool and crimp a second time because it only seemed to do one side well. This was awkward and still didn’t result in a reliably solid crimp.
splicing 6164 X sm.jpg

I got so frustrated while trying to crimp wires for the new LPG controls that I was tempted to solder joints. (another discussion, I don’t think that’s as dire as ABYC makes it to be) I watched a video on crimping and decided to buy a 'crimping tool for heat shrink connectors'. It’s worked beautifully. Then I went back and read the MHT article and discovered why the first one wasn't 'working'.
splicing 6185 sm.jpg

I decided to put this here in case there were other electric neophytes who would find it useful. You don’t know what you don’t know.

Prairie Schooner

Looking at the picture but not seeing what I should be seeing. Is there an explanation of how to use the crimp tool correctly?
Thanks for pointing that out, Loren. I should rewrite it. They're different tools. The MHT article will explain the difference better than I can.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks! I am probably over thinking the whole thing. That said I have had a crimp that I "thought" was fine, pull apart when I gave it a yank before installation. I do have a crimp tool very similar to the one in the link.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Ancor makes double crimpers for non heat shrink terminals and single crimpers for heat shrink ones. I think the idea is that the second crimp on the non heat shrink ones crimps the longer insulated housing to the wire insulation. This isn’t necessary in a heat shrink terminal since the heat shrink does a better job of the same thing. The crimp at the terminal end of the terminal should be enough to mechanically fasten the terminal to the wire by itself. Personally I like using the double crimpers and adding my own heat shrink over a standard terminal although I’m starting to see the value in the time savings of heat shrink terminals.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
A former shipmate (and electrical engineer) still insisted on soldering everything and adding two heat shrinks, one about 1/4” longer than the other. I’ve heard soldering actually makes a hard spot that can cause premature failure, so I use that as an excuse not to solder as long as I can avoid it