1979 Ericson 30 -- Info/Input Requested

jsefcik

Hi, I just made an offer on a 1979 Ericson 30 and I am going to survey soon. I am seeking advice about what to look for during the survey (i.e., what to pester the surveyor about). If you have any recommended surveyors in the mid-Chesapeake area, I would love to know.

Also, I would love to hear from any other Ericson 30 (30-2?) owners out there and their experiences with the boat. It seems beautiful and I'm excited, but, as a fledgling sailor, I'm also nervous.

Thanks!

Jim Sefcik

Congratulations on looking into an Ericson. Get the best surveyor you can afford, one with a good reputation. If you need advice on where to find such a person, call Chris Larson at North Sails in Annapolis and tell him that I suggested that you get in touch with him about a good surveyor. Chris knows his way around. Rolex Yachtsman of the Year, etc. You will be paying for professional advice. Be wise enough to take it. And good luck.

Morgan

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
New to Surveys?

If you've not gone through the process before, I also suggest you purchase the Don Casey's book Inspecting the Aging Sailboat - it will give you a nice overvew of the process as well as what things you should be looking at while the guy you're paying is doing his thing....

You're going to pay $500 or so for the inspection anyhow... the extra $15 will be well spent.... Just my $0.02...

:egrin:

//sse