• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1987 E34 rudder issues

hdlEric

Member III
Has anyone had experience with their rudder delaminating? The PO of my boat said there were problems with the rudder absorbing water when the boat is on the hard, and that would result in damage to the rudder. Presently there is some lateral and rotational play in the system; about 3/8".
Thanks for your time, Howard

rssailor

Howard,
If you have some pictures of the delamination, post them. If the rudder is moving independently of the shaft, you have a serious problem. The internal structure of your rudder that is welded to the shaft could be breaking loose. I would get an experienced fiberglass repair person(preferably someone who has fixed rudders before) to take a look at your rudder out of the water as soon as possible. You do not want to experience rudder failure. Ryan

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
the rudder absorbing water when the boat is on the hard,

Perhaps he (the PO) meant swelling up, with bubbles. Rudders are not supposed to be exposed to direct sunlight, and should be covered with paper or something when the boat is hauled out. They heat fast and distort, often temporarily. Boatyards don't always pay attention and need to be reminded.

hdlEric

Member III
Howard,
If you have some pictures of the delamination, post them. If the rudder is moving independently of the shaft, you have a serious problem. The internal structure of your rudder that is welded to the shaft could be breaking loose. I would get an experienced fiberglass repair person(preferably someone who has fixed rudders before) to take a look at your rudder out of the water as soon as possible. You do not want to experience rudder failure. Ryan
Sorry no pics, but thanks for you reply! What makes things even more wonderful is finding someone to work on it will be like finding ye old snowball in hell.

Grizz

Grizz
Morning. Sorry for the late reply, Loren alerted me to the question, just now getting to it, having unearthed the 2017 invoice; 5 years and a pandemic later, use these numbers carefully!

Finco Fabrication, Santa Ana CA PHONE 714-973-2878 Cal 40 Schumacher Design (Cal 40) $2,800, which included crate fee, shipping insurance and freight.

Finco was great to work with, responsive and accurate throughout the process. Good people IMHO. PHONE 714-973-2878 Hope this helps. Good luck!

hdlEric

Member III
Morning. Sorry for the late reply, Loren alerted me to the question, just now getting to it, having unearthed the 2017 invoice; 5 years and a pandemic later, use these numbers carefully!

Finco Fabrication, Santa Ana CA PHONE 714-973-2878 Cal 40 Schumacher Design (Cal 40) $2,800, which included crate fee, shipping insurance and freight.

Finco was great to work with, responsive and accurate throughout the process. Good people IMHO. PHONE 714-973-2878 Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi Grizz.
Thank you so much for the information!! The phone number is still good.
Howard