• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

25+ halyards

davemitchell

Member I
Between trailering the boat 600 miles to its new home and getting the mast stepped, the main halyard got pulled halfway out of tha mast. any ideas on best way to run it back in? I pulled a messenger thru with the jib halyard before stepping the mast , now it feels like it is hung up inside the mast. I don't know if its fouled with the jib halyard or what . Tried to go up the mast with a bosuns chair the halyard bound too much, got up using a mast ladder a friend had. Would pulling the halyard out completely and using a weighted messager work? Help and thanks

Bill Robbins

Member II
If you can not untangle the halyards, then pulling them out and starting again may be your best option. A plumb bob or some type of messenger such as a few links of chain works well. I would not use a snake because you do not know the path it takes as it descends down the mast.
Two things to consider:
One, make sure you can pull the halyard out without it fouling inside. This could be a big pain, and you may end up with the mast horizontal again. As you pull the old halyard out tie a tag line to it so if it does get stuck as it goes up, you can pull it back down again and try again. If you need to pull the halyard out from the bottom end you will really need to use a tag line in order to keep all the line from dropping down at one time and causing a big problem.
The second thing is to make sure the halyard ends up on the correct side of the through bolts witch secure the mid stay tangs. If the halyard crosses over and rubs against them they will wear prematurly.

If you have a forward steaming light try popping out the fixture as it may be fouled at this point. You may be able to inspect the line and grab it with a bent wire . I assume you have internal conduit for the wires. If not consider it. It may be the overall problem.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

davemitchell

Member I
25+ halyard success

used a kite string and a heavy washer. Pulled the kite string up with the main, marked it about 12" so I wouldn't pull it out, let gravity do its thing. 100% better. thanks for the ideas