• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

30-1 repowering

Somewhere on this forum someone wrote about repowering and the replacement diesel did not fit the space alotted for the motor. I have found a BMW D-50 engine for my E 30-1 Fawkes. Since I don't have the measurements of the engine I have found, I was wondering if anyone on the forum is familiar with this brand of engine and can give me some pointers. I have always dealt with outboards, so this is a new stripe of cat. I am inexperienced with the diesel engine's workings. All of them are expensive and if I can get this one to fit, the price is right. I was thinking that because of the 50hp this motor might be too large for my 30-1? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I don't know if it would fit or not (although I would suspect not) but that's way too big an engine for your 30-1. You would have more than enough power with an engine half that size.

Particularly since you're new to diesel auxiliaries, I'd be sure to get an engine you can easily get help with. Not sure how many BMW diesel mechanics there are around. (Maybe lots, I don't know.) But perhaps something like a yanmar or perkins would be easier to find parts and service for.

Nate

diamondjim

Member II
Repower

Hi Deborah,
Friends of mine, Ward & Judy Lahardy, had a BMW in their Corbin 39. They circumnavigated the world in that boat with that engine. When I asked him about the engine, he was certain that the BMW was the wrong choice. The problem was securing parts for it, not the machine itself. He said he would have preferred Kubota, Yanmar, Ford Laymen or Perkins. Parts for these engines are all over the place and resonable to obtain.
Hope that helps.
<> Jim

repowering E30-1, Fawkes

Thank you for all your helpful comments....being a novice, I am wide open to failure. I will keep searching. There are so many boats wrecked around here right now and many engines are available.