• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

32-3 engine control routing

Puget sailor

Member II
I’m blessed to have detailed (very detailed!) maintenance logs for my boat going back to when it was brand new and under routine professional care. One thing I’ve noticed as a recurring “issue” is the stiffness of the shift controls from the pedestal. I decided to do some digging, knowing that my Universal had a new sturdier transmission installed some years back. What I discovered was crazy. The control cable between the transmission and pedestal seems to be a bout 10’ too long and takes a very scenic route! The engine speed control just drops down behind the engine, goes under the hot water heater and pops up from a hole right under the pedestal and up it goes. The shifter control takes a hard turn up, chafes a nice notch in the platform that the water heater sits on, proceeds to go way back and take a lap around the rear of the rudder post, then comes back forward where it pauses to chaffe against the copper fuel line coming from the Racor fuel filter, does a little dance across the dripless bellows, then take another hard turn down into the same space where the speed cable goes, and eventually it too pops up behind the hot water tank and heads up to the pedestal.

Not only is it an absurdly long and convoluted path, there are numerous places where the outer jacket has chaffed through to reveal a rusty inner sleeve. It’s hard to imagine that Ericson set it up that way. Somebody must have replaced it and only had one for a sport fishing boat available or something?

Anybody have a clue about the spec for what’s supposed to be in there? I did find a receipt from the first 10 years of the boats life where the technician notes the need to disassemble the pedestal to get to the control head, and noted it was a “big job!” So maybe that’s why nobody has attempted to cure this lately?

Attachments

• 5F53F7BE-7DA0-4E92-98BE-7EEFAFE2E43F.jpeg
    5F53F7BE-7DA0-4E92-98BE-7EEFAFE2E43F.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 42668793-7C33-467B-B3A0-D1AC15CA722D.jpeg
    42668793-7C33-467B-B3A0-D1AC15CA722D.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 10
  • F4BBFD64-DE69-4872-8F78-F2B85C5C01B5.jpeg
    F4BBFD64-DE69-4872-8F78-F2B85C5C01B5.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 10
  • EF511ECA-ADE3-4A2A-9854-74C51576A8BF.jpeg
    EF511ECA-ADE3-4A2A-9854-74C51576A8BF.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 10

peaman

Sustaining Member
I replaced both cables last May, and found a similar situation with length and routing. The cables shown below are an excellent fit for my 32-3 with Universal 25XP and ZF gear box.

302021633-10​
Teleflex / SeaStar Xtreme 3300 Control Cable - 10 Feet​
1​
0​
$37.99​
$37.99​
302021633--8​
Teleflex / SeaStar Xtreme 3300 Control Cable - 8 Feet​
1​
0​
$36.99​
$36.99​

The engine shutdown cable was also extremely long, but that can be cut to fit.

Puget sailor

Member II
Thanks, that’s perfect. I’ll see if I can track those down and have them on hand. Planning a short cruise after Labor Day and getting through my new boat deferred maintenance list before departing. Be nice to have the controls on board at the very least. If I get far enough, I’ll tear into the pedestal and make the swap. Nothing like maneuvering in close quarters and wondering if the shifter is suddenly going to go dead. Still quite a mystery as to why there is so much gratuitous length on those if other boats were similarly equipped?

peaman

Sustaining Member
If I get far enough, I’ll tear into the pedestal and make the swap.
You may well be amazed at the difference in feel. The first time I used the engine was to bring my new purchase from NJ to CT in a 22 hour trip. Arriving at an unfamiliar marina, in an unfamiliar boat, with a tired crew, unsure of which slip, and struggling to go from forward to reverse, knowing that neutral must be somewhere in between... I'm just happy that it was so early in the season that not many boats or spectators were around to see the first docking.

Puget sailor

Member II
You’ve described my entry into the Port Townsend Boat Haven Marina for a first haul out exactly. It was “only” my wife waiting on the dock to grab a line, and there was a 12 knot cross wind going too. Even more concerning is finding sometimes I’m not completely in gear unless I jam the lever further forward than seems necessary until it clicks and really locks up the clutch. Even if I’m adjusted to it, it will be really tough for a new crew to deal with in an emergency. I did notice that the local supply house, Fisheries Supply, is out of stock on anything under 12’, but they are out there on the internet. Time to pony up for fast shipping…

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The control cables connect inside the pedestal and need to be pulled up for access. Steps 2 through 4 in this photo series, after removal of the compass and probably the wheel.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I replaced both cables last May, and found a similar situation with length and routing. The cables shown below are an excellent fit for my 32-3 with Universal 25XP and ZF gear box.

302021633-10​
Teleflex / SeaStar Xtreme 3300 Control Cable - 10 Feet​
1​
0​
$37.99​
$37.99​
302021633--8​
Teleflex / SeaStar Xtreme 3300 Control Cable - 8 Feet​
1​
0​
$36.99​
$36.99​

The engine shutdown cable was also extremely long, but that can be cut to fit.
I see that control cable is available in 1-ft length increments:

Did the 8-ft and 10-ft lengths work perfectly, or would you have preferred either to be a little longer or shorter?
Does anyone know the OEM lengths that came out of their 32-3 when cables were renewed?