A Week at Catalina Island (18 minute video)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am told that the boat next to me, Petrel, was that of Giles Finlayson, something of a legend in cruising and paddleboarding. He was returning to Oceanside (down the coast a bit) and his slip there. I would have liked to engage him further, but it wasn't in the cards.

For HD choose "Watch on YouTube."

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
The swell had me wishing I was in B row but then again I was there to get better at anchoring. Unless there was another electric outboard we crossed paths around the dingy dock a few times. I also would have had questions. If you promise an autobiography I will be content to continue let the universe schedule that meeting.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Christian, Another interesting video, somewhat different then the solo ocean sailing versions and more like the kind of sailing (and anchoring) that I'm use to on the CHESAPEAKE BAY with my wife Beverly, who was almost solely responsible for getting me into sailing, BTW. Also liked seeing the Torqeedo at work which is the same means of propulsion we use on our West Marine inflatable which I think is also the same. Limited range, yes, but after having a gas powered motor, then just oars (on a hard dinghy we use to own) the electric version seem to fit most of our needs and brings with it most of the advantages. Where you anchored (moored) for a week at Catalina? Did you have any issues with battery power or did you run the engine to charge up since you don't have solar panels? Finally, if I recall from one or maybe two of your other videos and this one, you really do have a thing with stove and pot solos to jazz music, don't you. :cool:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When ashore for a few hours, I leave the battery at any outlet I can find. Recharging from boat 12v takes too long.

charge torq batt ashore.JPG

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I run the engine every few days for an hour or more, which also makes hot water. Battery charge maintained between 60 and 80 percent.

I was surprised to note that my Dometic Cold Machine refrigerator used only 12 amps in 24 hours, running full time at thermometer setting "1", which maintained 40F inside the evaporator.

jav317

Member III
I am told that the boat next to me, Petrel, was that of Giles Finlayson, something of a legend in cruising and paddleboarding. He was returning to Oceanside (down the coast a bit) and his slip there. I would have liked to engage him further, but it wasn't in the cards.

For HD choose "Watch on YouTube."

We enjoyed the video Christian. I'm looking forward to introducing Christine to Two Harbors and your video was a great addition to my description of the Isthmus. I was wondering why you didn't introduce everyone to " Buffalo Milk " the landmark drink of Doug's?