Any Preferred Spots in the Gulf Islands you want to share (Stuart???)

wurzner

Member III
I'm querrying the group to see if you have any preferred moorages in the Gulf Islands South of Nanaimo? I've been to Poet's Cove, but plan on heading a little further North this year weather permitting? Additionally, I would like some recommendations on where we can pull in to take showers and pump out (not in that order), as well as pick up ice and beer. Are there any special coves that you would like to share or little towns that are of interest? Please let me know as I will be spending a few days with the in-laws the 27th~29th in Roche Harbor, and then plan on spending 10 days or so a little further north. Stuart, I know your out there and can probably provide so great suggestions.

thanks in advance
Shaun Wurzner
S/V Cardiac A Rest
E32, Everett WA
:egrin: :) :egrin:
or if my wife doesn't have a good time
:eek: :boohoo: :esad: :boohoo: :eek:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
A great place to stop, shop, unwind, reprovision, etc. is Ganges Harbour on Saltspring Island. Great facilities, good pubs and restaurants...too many crab traps lining the entrance to the harbour for my liking, but certainly nothing to keep from visiting this great little spot.
The two anchorages on the SW side of Wallace Island are lovely - drop an anchor and stern tie to rings on shore. Connover Cove is the name of one - the other name escapes me.
We always have a wonderful evening anchored at Thetis Island/Telegraph Harbour. Nice pubs on shore and nice secure anchorage - can be busy so arrive early.
Montague Harbour is the largest and most popular anchorage in the Gulf Islands, just north of Active Pass on the SW shore Gabriola Island. Great protection and very picturesque.
There are dozens of other spots, but these will get you started.
Good luck, Shaun!

Last edited:

Stuart

Member II
pubs and showers

Hi Shaun

Mike has you started in the right direction, keep in mind that Montague is great but no showers, I don't know if the pub bus still is running but well worth the trip. It's not that the pub is anything special but the bus trip should get your adrenalin pumping!
One of my favorites is Bowen Island, Union Steamship Marina or just anchor in the bay and dingy in, great shower, great pup and a beer store. If you like to hike there are trail around an inland lake, good walk more than a hike with lots of options.
Another place we like is Gibsons marina, good facility at a reasonable cost, everything need is close (beer, wine etc).
Stay out of Plumper Cove unless you want to stay up all night bouncing around like a tennis ball in a tournament.
If you get close, give us a call, we are on the North Shore in North Vancouver, Thunderbird Marina in West Van is where we keep Fairhaven, they also have transient moorage. We could pick you up and take you shopping, you could come by the house for a real shower and some bites.
Home is 604 990 6681 and cell is 604 340 1366
Cheers,
Stuart