Bad water in tanks

gabosifat

Member III
Good day Ericsonians,

Took on some bad water up the coast so we now have 2 water tanks that need draining and flushing.
Anyone done this before?
About a week away from home and surviving on bottled water.
cheers and thanks!
Steve
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island BC

JSM

Member III
Open faucets and let the bad water drain overboard or disconnect the lines from the tanks drain water into bilge and pump overboard.
Rinse and repeat.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Clorox, the bleach, is an easy way toward peace of mind with suspect drinking water. Quarter-teaspoon per 1.75 gallons, that's all.

I have read elsewhere that the Clorox needs to be spread through the water, not so easy to do in a closed 40-gallon sailboat tank. So in filling the tank with a hose, I would add Clorox every five gallons or so, rather than just all at once through the inspection port.

As an aside, my dentist has me using a tiny amount of Clorox in the Waterpik, just enough to taste it, based on recent studies at USC suggesting that that matches in effect the usual application of antibacterials by dentists.

David Grimm

E38-200
Just a quick bit for you, remove the screen or tip of the faucet first. It will allow the water to come out twice as fast and won't get clogged with debris. I had done this many times in the past but forgot to remove them this most recent time around. Now my new faucet is clogged and slow. :(

gabosifat

Member III
Thanks guys,
Since the boat is now 38 years old, I was thinking of a more thorough tank cleaning as I’m sure the bottoms of the tanks will have a decent layer of scum. Tanks have inspection plates on them, but are covered by cabinetry which would require removing wood plugs etc to get at them. I believe the plates were installed afterwards as they have an old company sticker on them. I can remove cabinetry, but was hoping for a simpler way.
Cheers,
Steve
1886 E35/3
Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My model has a cutout allowing easy access to the water tank inspect port. Might not be a big job to cut one out.

3 E381 water tank access.JPG