Barrier coat present?

Gary G

Member II
I am considering removing all of the "soft" bottom paint that has been used over the years on my 1983 28+ and painting with VC17. In several places it I'm able to scrape it off down to what appears to be a smooth darker blue surface that I thought was the barrier coat. When I commented to a fellow sailor that I was planning to strip, scrape, sand down to this barrier coat he stated that no barrier coats were used on the 1983 28+. Do any of you viking factory veterans know if that is fact or not? If there is no barrier coat do I need to apply one before any new bottom paint?

Gary

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Perhaps it's a stupid question, but . . .

Is it really smooth like gel coat? Is it possibly your just scraping down to the gelcoat, and it happens to be dark blue below the waterline?

jreddington

Member III
I don't think I've ever heard of an Ericson factory applied barrier coat. Could have been put on by a P.O. or maybe at the dealer before the bottom paint was put on the first time.

wurzner

Member III
Gary,

I just did this last week on my 38. I too had multiple layers of what was either an ablative or sloughing paint. After sand though layers and layers, I hit what was either a barrier coat, fairing compound, an older style vinyl paint, or who the heck knows. I decided to put on 4 coats of interprotect 2000 since whatever was present was a very fine layer between that and the gel coat. The interprotect seemed to adhere nicely since it seem to be somewhat porous and it had a nice tooth from the sanding. I then put on 4 coats of VC Offshore and while there are no guareentees, I believe I will be fine and will just follow up with VC offshore in 16 months at my next haul out. If I do fine that there were adhesion issues, I will hire the local gel planner guy, pay the 1200, and have him take it down like I did my old boat. Then I'll put on interprotect 1000 (x4) followed by West Systems (x3) and that will be that. I didn't have the time to do that this time around and in all honesty, think it will be perfectly fine when I haul. The key thing is 1) VC doesn't like anything, 2) Interprotect is a good starting base for VC.

Regards
shaun

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
My 84 E30+ had a barrier coat that was black and incredibly tenacious that appeared to be factory applied (i guess).