• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bayliner anchor line measurement system

e38sailorman

Member II
My wife works with a women who along with her husband own a bayliner 45. Over the weekend of April 23/24 these folks went cruising, on the way home, the skipper decided he needed to mark his anchor line so he could tell how much rode he had out, when anchoring (good idea right?).

Now most of us do this by laying out the chain and line on the dock measuring it, marking it appropriately, and putting it back in the anchor locker. Well this fellow decided that the best way to do this was to get out into deep water lower the anchor and all the line and chain. I'm not quite sure how he planned to measure it when it's all hanging straight down........but anyway, he started to retrieve the rode and anchor and found out the windlass wasn't powerful enough to pull the load!

Now our hero dicides to retreive the anchor and rode by hand, where he promptly catches his hand and fingers in the windlass...fortunately he wasn't hurt(had another powerboater I know seriously hurt this way). Anyway had to cut the entire rode and anchor loose, it is now on the bottom of Commencement Bay (Tacoma WA)

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yeah, I think I've seen those guys - tied up for lunch on the outfall bouy (they like the 'warm water'). :p

//sse

soup1438

Member II
Warm Water?

Sean Engle said:
Yeah, I think I've seen those guys - tied up for lunch on the outfall bouy (they like the 'warm water').

When it comes to warm water... yeah, I'm not sure I'm ready for cold water.

I know "cold" is relative; even the coldest water here around the west coast of Florida would likely feel like a hot tub for you folks way the eff up north...

(shivers, just thinking about it)

Gawd... I *am* getting old.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
soup1438 said:
When it comes to warm water... yeah, I'm not sure I'm ready for cold water.

I know "cold" is relative; even the coldest water here around the west coast of Florida would likely feel like a hot tub for you folks way the eff up north...

(shivers, just thinking about it)

Gawd... I *am* getting old.

Hey -

No, no - the 'warm' water I'm referring to is that coming from the sewage treatment plant in Gig Harbor! :p No kidding - we've passed people tied up to it - who don't realize what they're sitting on....

//sse

chrism

Inactive Member
Sean Engle said:
Hey -

No, no - the 'warm' water I'm referring to is that coming from the sewage treatment plant in Gig Harbor! :p No kidding - we've passed people tied up to it - who don't realize what they're sitting on....

//sse

Apparently the fish like the warm water. But I can't imagine that it's legal to sit on one of those buoys pre-9/11... I can only imagine now.

In the trip from my homeport to the Cape Cod Canal, we pass a nuclear power plant... it has a ton of buoys around it. We also pass a dirty old coal plant in the Canal.

Glad I'm within 25 miles of a Nuclear plant to the South, and within 50 to the North. I can say, 100% seriously, that I have no fear.