• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boat registration at state line?

peaman

Sustaining Member
Not Ericson specific, but I figure folks here would be able to help.

Connecticut requires boats moored in CT waters for more than 60 days total per year to be registered in CT. RI requires same for boats in RI waters for more than 90 days total. As a resident of southwest RI who intends to cruise local waters, what should I do with respect to registration?

About 6 weeks ago I bought an E32-3 (in NJ) and, as a resident of Rhode Island, I registered and titled it with RI. I have rented a slip in CT, so in accordance with CT law, I visited CT DMV today to apply for a "certificate of decal", which is different from a "new registration". I thought it was weird when they asked me to enter the marina address in the space provided for "co-owner". When they explained that the CT decal and a CT registration number needed to be displayed on the bow (where I had just replaced the old NJ number with the new RI numbers), I had them cancel the entire transaction.

What's the real-world solution to owning a boat at the state line? Changing the registration decal a few times every year doesn't seem like a good solution.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That's really going to be a state-specific situation. In my marina, nobody cares as long as registration is current in one state or the other. (The cops from the other state moor their boat here, too.) In the past, there have been big differences in taxation between the two states, so virtually all marina development was on the lower-taxed side.

In WA state political races, it used to be a pretty much SOP muck-raking exercise to snoop around and find out if your opponent had a boat or RV stashed just across the state line with the wrong registration.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Not Ericson specific, but I figure folks here would be able to help.

Connecticut requires boats moored in CT waters for more than 60 days total per year to be registered in CT. RI requires same for boats in RI waters for more than 90 days total. As a resident of southwest RI who intends to cruise local waters, what should I do with respect to registration?

About 6 weeks ago I bought an E32-3 (in NJ) and, as a resident of Rhode Island, I registered and titled it with RI. I have rented a slip in CT, so in accordance with CT law, I visited CT DMV today to apply for a "certificate of decal", which is different from a "new registration". I thought it was weird when they asked me to enter the marina address in the space provided for "co-owner". When they explained that the CT decal and a CT registration number needed to be displayed on the bow (where I had just replaced the old NJ number with the new RI numbers), I had them cancel the entire transaction.

What's the real-world solution to owning a boat at the state line? Changing the registration decal a few times every year doesn't seem like a good solution.
I'm a CT resident with CT decal and USCG registered. I've seen other RI residents and RI registered boat but docked in CT waters. As long as you're registered that's the main thing I wouldn't sweat it.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I've seen other RI residents and RI registered boat but docked in CT waters. As long as you're registered that's the main thing I wouldn't sweat it.
Transient boats from out-of-state are safe, but the way the requirement is worded had me concerned. Thanks for your "local knowledge" reply. I won't sweat it.

wynkoop

Member III
At my marina in NYC we have NY registered boats, NJ registered boats and MOST of the boats lack current registration, of course those do not go anyplace ever and I suspect the owners will argue they are non-powered and therefore need no registration. We have a bunch of old cabin cruisers and house boats with DEAD engines that are live aboard.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Again probably state-specific, but my marina and the Sheriff have made it clear that boats floating in the marina are in "the waters of the state" and by law require current registration. If you are a little late putting the new stickers on, (e.g. because of bad weather) you get a pointed letter. (The Sheriff's boat is at the end of my dock.) I'm not sure that it goes beyond that though, because there are always a few boats with expired stickers.