• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Change is not always improvement [Defender Marine Supply]

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Defender is staring to disappoint me almost as much as Rig-Rite has recently.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
So far, members have recommended the following:

Hodges Marine
Hamilton Marine
Fisheries Supply

I wonder what other great marine supply distributors should be high-lighted to help fill the void left by Defender's new owners?

Spring is coming
I purchased some items from Hamilton Marine around Christmas time, and yesterday I received a 1/2-inch thick catalog from them in the mail. I think I saw my credit card smile as I flipped through the pages.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
For cordage I’ve been happy with service, selection, and price at R & W Rope.

Bummer about Defender. PE kills another great business.
Agree about R & W Rope, but be advised there is a website that calls themselves that, and looks very much like the actual R & W Rope website, but they are not. Google "R & W Rope" and you'll see what I mean.
According to someone I talked to at R & W, this has been a problem for them. The rwrope.com domain is the proper domain.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
So far, members have recommended the following:

Hodges Marine
Hamilton Marine
Fisheries Supply

I wonder what other great marine supply distributors should be high-lighted to help fill the void left by Defender's new owners?
MAURIPRO has always done right by me. Their selection tends to be more limited, but occasionally I've found very good deals. Never had problems with shipping, customer service, or returns.

I was a huge Defender fan and 1st member. Haven't ordered anything from them after the changeover, yet. I am just about to purchase a halyard retainer from them, because they're still the cheapest source for this part. Guess I'll see how it goes. I think WestMarine is likely to get a whole bunch more business from me going forward.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Is that the online store for LFS? I forgot about them. They do ship really quickly to the NW, even Idaho.
Yup, not sure why they changed. Maybe just distinguishing between the fishing business vs the general boating business. Either way, I've always had really good luck with them.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Defender now does video documentary.
Parts? Schmarts!
I previously wrote:
"I'm into motorcycles and Fortnine has also been damaged. While technically the purchase was by the Sawaf brothers who run FortNine, there's a Canadian VC group called Novacap behind this all. Novacap bought FortNine mid 2020 and has been squeezing what they could out of it with similar reported changes in customer experience on our motorcycle forum. (advrider.com)

As far as pricing, being a Canadian company alone makes FortNine pricier than their major competitors since most are US based. They're the biggest in Canada and were undercutting other Canadian companies till being bought but they still are pretty close to other Canadian motorcycle parts prices. Motorcycle people were complaining by January 2021 about increasing prices and calls to customer service.

Now suddenly Defender is doing exactly the same thing that happened to FortNine. Pity because I liked and bought from Defender regularly."

That's exactly what they did for FortNine to draw people in. They brought in this young video writer/presenter, Ryan Kluftinger, who is really good and puts out about a video a week. https://www.youtube.com/@FortNine
Great content but the intent was/is to drive potential customers to the business which had become more "big box."

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Tried to spend money yesterday AT THE Defender site just to give them a try. Login does not have a forgot password option. Decided to spend my money at Fisheries Supply instead. Same items were $10 cheaper. Oh well.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Just to add. The warehouse has been closed for "remodeling" for months now so you can't shop in store, only store pick up or shipped. So I went online last night to purchase an in stock outboard and the only option it gives me is truck delivery at a cost of $225 - what no store pick up option?

Also they use to have their annual spring sales warehouse event about now. I've seen no mention of it this year.

Never mind I've been shopping at WM a lot more and finding deals as well as getting points to spend afterwards.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Tried to spend money yesterday AT THE Defender site just to give them a try. Login does not have a forgot password option. Decided to spend my money at Fisheries Supply instead. Same items were $10 cheaper. Oh well.
Grant, I see this on the login page. Sounds like it doesn't matter much now, but...

2023-03-07 17_19_39-Customer Login _ Defender.png

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Defender was always my go to in part because they could ship to Vermont in a day or two and I loved getting the printed catalogue because I’m a relic. Our pathetic little WM in Burlington is usually about half stocked. I ordered a couple packs of disconnects over a week ago using “ship to store” and got an email today saying the package label was printed. Grrrr. A few weeks ago, I ordered something from Hodges and it was here in 48 hour so I’m liking them at the moment.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Another one that I’m on the fence about is Jamestown. They’re really responsive to product questions but their robots hunt you relentlessly if you click on something and don’t buy it.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Now, don’t laugh, but I’ve recent purchased equipment and parts for my electronics upgrade from…..Amazon. Axiom 7 chart plotter, i50 depth gage, transduce, Raymarine SeaTalk parts and more. All at a decent price with free and quick delivery (I have Amazon Prime). In short, very little hassle and a very searchable purchase history that is far better then even the old Defender site. I still look at Defender, West Marine and the rest before ordering but in many cases can find it on Amazon with a quicker delivery time and equal or sometimes cheaper price.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Now, don’t laugh, but I’ve recent purchased equipment and parts for my electronics upgrade from…..Amazon. Axiom 7 chart plotter, i50 depth gage, transduce, Raymarine SeaTalk parts and more. All at a decent price with free and quick delivery (I have Amazon Prime). In short, very little hassle and a very searchable purchase history that is far better then even the old Defender site. I still look at Defender, West Marine and the rest before ordering but in many cases can find it on Amazon with a quicker delivery time and equal or sometimes cheaper price.
Not laughing at all. I’ve done the same and sometimes it’s a vendor you already deal with and they just have an amazon storefront. The one place where I have a little Amazon anxiety is making sure you are getting the thing you searched for. Now it’s everybody’s turn to laugh at me. I ordered a day/night Nicro replacement vent from Amazon. I even searched by the part number on the box from my original. Thought I could just swap out the head and it would be easy. First, the wrong size came so I returned it and then the second one came and it was the right size. I was surprised they’d made so many changes to the design, but I pulled the old sleeve, refilled the holes, drilled fresh ones and it wasn’t until it was finally in that I realized there was no battery because it wasn’t the same model. Me not so smart. But then I realized I always turn the fan off at night anyway.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Not laughing either. Use Amazon all the time, just find that it doesn't always carry specialized items needed for sailboats.