• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Channel 16

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Was anybody else monitoring channel 16 in LA Harbor yesterday? A request for assistance came through. A 24 ft powerboat had lost power, they dropped anchor but it was dragging and they said that unless assisted they would eventually end up on the breakwater.
Coast guard sector Los Angeles immediately responded asking questions about crew and their health, whether they were in life vests, and then they asked for the vessels position but the response was inaudible. They called again saying they really needed help and again Coast guard asked them their position and were told to hold on. After less than 5 minutes what I assume to be the initial callers significant other begin broadcasting that the response time was ridiculous and they needed help now to which coast guard replied what is your position? The initial caller came back to the mic and read off their position numbers after moments spent finding his glasses. From the radio chatter it seems local LA Harbor patrol or lifeguards had been organized and performed the rescue with no loss of life or property damage..
Anyone listening to this call smacked their heads so many times there's a chance we all have a slight concussion.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
When I hear monitored calls on 16, it reminds me that it's a good idea to practice your own mayday and pan call contents. Vessel name and description, number of souls aboard, position, and situation.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I have my old handheld (batteries no longer available) plugged in in my office, scanning the likely traffic channels. It's a pretty quiet area. Mostly just tug boats and cruise ships making security calls, vessels approaching the locks, and the daily Notice To Mariners. Except on nice summer weekends when all kinds of crazy stuff seems to happen.
With this setup, I often only hear the Coast Guard side of conversations. Position reports come in all kinds of flavors:
GPS coordinates (where the heck is that?)
"N miles east of X," ("X" usually being mispronounced or incomprehensibly mumbled.)
"Near River Mile N," well at least I can guess where that is.
"Vessel calling US Coast Guard, please state your position..." Repeated every three minutes.

Since the CG has little actual physical presence nearby, and sometimes the Sheriff's marine officer is busy on the far side of the county, the usual thing for non-emergency disabled vessels is to ask for volunteers to render assistance.

FWIW, I do keep a pair of reading glasses at the chart table, next to the radios. Hmm... maybe I should stash a pair in the Zodiac too.