cockpit sole?

fixntheboat

Member II
Cockpit sole is completely checked, cracked ,basically terrible shape but still very solid.
any thoughts on using FRP sheeting to cover. after proper prep.?
Thanks Again!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Boat is a 1974 32-2 (please add to your signature line).

Sure, if you like the texture and color. But I'd think that since the cockpit is still sound, you could also just fill and fair and paint.

Or consider a fancy teak grate.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Cockpit sole is completely checked, cracked ,basically terrible shape but still very solid.
any thoughts on using FRP sheeting to cover. after proper prep.?
Thanks Again!
When stepping into the cockpit, either while boarding or when coming up from inside the boat, the cockpit sole can be a bit slippery, especially when wet. Mine has a nonslip texture, but even so, it's sometimes a bit slippery. So you may want to choose some material that isn't really glossy and slippery, or if you repair and paint it, add some non-slip texture to the paint.
Frank

fixntheboat

Member II
When stepping into the cockpit, either while boarding or when coming up from inside the boat, the cockpit sole can be a bit slippery, especially when wet. Mine has a nonslip texture, but even so, it's sometimes a bit slippery. So you may want to choose some material that isn't really glossy and slippery, or if you repair and paint it, add some non-slip texture to the paint.
Frank
The FRP I looked at has a rough bubbled surface, somewhat orange peel like, not sure it is enough, or if it will hold up.
Was thinking it might save some time. but at this point ...She'll be swimming when she swims, it is a production...onward I go!
Other thought is laying down some 1208 biaxial glass, and prep, paint ,and texture.
Thanks for your input sir.

fixntheboat

Member II
Boat is a 1974 32-2 (please add to your signature line).

Sure, if you like the texture and color. But I'd think that since the cockpit is still sound, you could also just fill and fair and paint.

Or consider a fancy teak grate.
Thank you Sir .
I tried or did add it but not sure. Sailing non issue ... computer not so much