• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cold climate winterizing of engine and tanks when keeping boat in water

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I'm in NJ, keep my boat in the water during the winter, and have winterized the engine and water tanks each time. My marina doesn't freeze due to the brackish water and bubbling system, but the air and water get cold. I have several marina neighbors that never winterize since they also keep the boat in the water, claiming it acts as heat bath and those things won't freeze. (I should also point out, several of these neighbors rarely leave their slips, and some live aboard year round, which I don't.) I'm certainly not willing to take the risk, but was wondering if anyone here thinks similarly.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Many people here in the PNW don't winterize because we don't often get extreme cold temperatures and when we do they usually don't last long. But one deep freeze can burst hoses or rupture your heat exchanger. To me it all depends on your work schedule and how far you are from your boat. I travel often so I can't guarantee I'll be around if we get a freak deep freeze. So, I winterize every year.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I sail year round in BC coastal waters, so I don't winterize. I think it's better for the boat, and for me, to keep everything active and moving, rather than sitting unused all winter.
But I'm retired, live 15 minutes from my boat and can monitor it and start a small electric heater during cold spells.
It really is a judgement call, depending on your various factors.
Frank