CPT Autopilot

AlanO

Member II
I'm currently leaning towards getting a CPT Autopilot to replace the old failed AutoHelm 3000 on our 38-200. After review of the product descriptions and forum discussions, the ease of installation, overbuilt motor, relatively low noise level, and low power draw are attracting me to this device as well as the cost compared to another below deck direct drive unit or the RayMarine wheeldrive (cheaper, more bells and whistles, but weaker motor). After reviewing the various manuals, one thing that rises as a potential concern about the CPT is the clutch, which has little description, just a drawing. It appears to be a knob for engaging two pins in order to rotate the belt drive wheel and the belts and wheels are completely exposed, albeit behind the helm wheel. My concern is getting fingers caught between the belt and drive wheel in a hasty attempt to engage or disengage the clutch. Can folks with CPT autopilot experience provide some perspective on this concern? Is there a preferred motor placement that minimizes this concern?

Thanks.

Alan

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
I cannot say anything about the CPT in use...

However, FWIW I have the Raymarine EV-100 Wheel Pilot, and I do not like it and have been thinking seriously about getting a CPT myself despite the fact that the Raymarine works (as well as it ever will). The reason is simple: the Raymarine slips under any significant load -- so in much of any waves, or higher wind when there is much weather helm or gusting, you can hear the system slip / watch the boat lose its heading. Often enough that I have to go steer by hand even when I might not want to. I don't know where you sail, but for me high wind and waves sufficient to cause this problem are frequent, and it makes singlehanding more challenging than necessary. Opinions I've seen on this board suggest my experience is not unusual.

Separately, the Raymarine is very loud -- I also have a (obviously silent) windvane, and it is pretty shocking how much more pleasant sailing is when I am using that. To the extent the CPT is quieter (I've read their site too : ) then it will be a lot nicer, particularly when you are with others and trying to have a relaxed conversation.

Anyway, you might ask about the quality of the CPT clutch / system in terms of holding heading under weather helm / waves. I believe I read elsewhere that it is good in that respect. Since I'm also thinking about he CPT, I'll watch for any related replies.

PS: To be fair, the Raymarine is clearly not intended for heavy use -- I am not suggesting it is defective or problematic in that respect. And it is so easy to install that even I could do it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would also like to hear of the experience of any member with the CPT. I have no doubt that the motor is as powerful as the install is early Industrial Revolution.

I happen to be a big fan of the Ray wheel pilot, and contend that the usual complaints are the result of failure to trim the sails so the boat sails itself. That means reducing heel and weather helm which usually means reducing sail. In fact this is true of all autohelm installations, as well as wind vanes. True, a Ray wheel pilot is only good until the whitecaps come up, not designed for lively conditions. Maybe the CPT is.

cpt.jpg

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I have used the CPT on some deliveries but have never owned one. They are quieter than the Raymarine wheel pilots and seem to track OK--but don't integrate with other instruments--just hold a course. Quiet matters and I have never understood why Raymarine does not care.. Raymarine has a number of computers and programs they have used with their autopilots and some seem better than others--none that I have used is outstanding, though the ones with gyros are nice. I actually own and have a fairly low opinion of the EVO Raymarine wheel pilot I have on my Ericson. The computer seems slow and does not learn very fast about sea state (that might be where I have located the sensor) and it is obnoxiously noisy and not all that powerful when the wind picks up--but my Ericson requires some hands on control. I have an old Raymarine electric Linear drive below deck autopilot on my Tartan 37 that I have been using for 20 years that I love. Quiet, powerful, works well off the wind instruments and learns about sea state well enough. Engages and disengages with a click of a button from the head unit or a remote and virtually no drag on the steering gear (electric clutch). I think any of you with 38s should consider this upgrade. It is not really horribly difficult to install if you have any glassing ability. Yes they cost more, if you are really going cruising it is a worthwhile investment--especially if you single hand.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Although I enjoy my wind vane, I think for most of us a linear drive autopilot makes more sense. A wind vane is great offshore but too clumsy for typical use, and you also need a wheel pilot for motoring.

Drewm3i

Member II
I would also like to hear of the experience of any member with the CPT. I have no doubt that the motor is as powerful as the install is early Industrial Revolution.

I happen to be a big fan of the Ray wheel pilot, and contend that the usual complaints are the result of failure to trim the sails so the boat sails itself. That means reducing heel and weather helm which usually means reducing sail. In fact this is true of all autohelm installations, as well as wind vanes. True, a Ray wheel pilot is only good until the whitecaps come up, not designed for lively conditions. Maybe the CPT is.

View attachment 50262
I have had the CPT--albeit briefly--on my previous E-38-200 and it worked pretty well upwind in short period 6-7' seas off the west coast of Florida. The belt did slip occasionally but this was partially user error and working out the kinks of usage IMO as I did not have it snug enough. It does like to work itself a bit loose in my experience and I would recommend the additional and optional belt tensioner device for certain, but I really do think it can replace a below deck linear drive unit for most conditions, especially on an Ericson which sports a very big and effective spade rudder. It is a bit wonky to program and use and requires constant fiddling to achieve the desired effect as conditions change.

I really wish the EV-100's modern sensors and electronics could be combined with the CPT motor and circuit board: it would be the perfect wheel pilot IMO.