E 39 flushdeck

Sam Clemens

Member I
Hello:

My wife and I are looking at a 71 E39 flushdeck.
We can't seem to find any information on them , like they didn.t exist. This E39 is very clean, spacious and would fit our needs we think.
Does anyone know where I can find articles or anyone that knows something about the E39's, weak spots , what to look for and also their strong points .
Any info would we helpful.

Thank you Sam and Cecile Clemens

ccorcoran

Member II
Sam & Ceciile,

I just did a qiuck search on the website and found more than a few posts re. the E39. I've sailed on one or two (in Newport Beach, CA) and, as I recall, it seemed like a great boat, given the tiemframe/design. Actually, it seems a lot like the Peason 40 flush deack of the same era (however, the Pearson had a drop keel). All that said, do a quick search of this website on Ericson 39 and you'l find a staring place. Good luck and remember, it's an Ericson, so it has to be good!

evm

Member II
HI,

I sail an E39 in the portland area. There are a few in town. My boat is from 1974 "Lilith" and there is an "Amorous" in town also. I like tha boat a lot and have enjoyed sailing it to Barekley Sound and the San Juans.

--Ethan

w 503-748-1157
c 360-909-2003

Renegade Peso

39 foot ????????

Hi Sam
Well my wife and I are I are in the same fix not much info about the 39 as Ericson only built a very limited number of them.
I was told they may have knocked the end out of the mold and built a 44 but this is not positive information. I will check back and if I find anything I will let you know. yachtworld.com has a few listed if you do a search maybe some of the owners have more info if a guy could e-mail them.
JJJ

evm

Member II
The E39 was in production from '71 hrough '79. My boat is hull number 48 and was made in '72. There should be a hundred or two of them out there. Maverick www.ussmaverick.net has just completed a circumnavigation. The link is down but will be up hopefully.

I've found that my boat is sea kindly and has the volume to allow comfort . The volume is good for an extended cruise of 4.

It really does not bacl down very well but that may be my 3 blade fixed prop. It sails very well and had both god weather performance and a nice turn of speed on all points of sail. It is an IOR boat but it can still suprise. Not known for surfing.

I would check the wooden supports for the rudder pullies, The tabbing on all the bulkheads. And other high stress ares. The often have been raced hard.

The deck and part of the hull are balsa. Any fittings should be checked out and the deck area near ny for water in the basla.

Corrosion on the soft steel frame members can be a problem. An original fuel tank most likely needs replacing ( I had a 45 gallon tank made in SS that drops in, very nice).

Take the gooseneck apart and remoce the fitting from the end of the boom. On mine there is a cotter key that holds them together. The cotter key has sheared once on me.

I've really enjoyed my boat and found it comfortable to sail and cruise.

Oh yes, where the chain plates go are prone to leak. The aft lovers and the bulkhear to deck fittings need good sealling.

Regard, Ethan

Sam Clemens

Member I
E39

Thank you all for the replies I 'm going to try to get the boat as long as theres nothing really major found wrong with it.

thanks Sam and Cecile