• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-2 polar data

Solarken

Member II
Hello,

Can any of you tell me where I can find the E32-2 polar file?!? I keep guessing but I’d like to have the design information.

Thank You all!

Capt. Kenny

Attachments

• 774C5492-B3E1-400E-822D-E31BB91B35E3.jpeg
    774C5492-B3E1-400E-822D-E31BB91B35E3.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 14

p.gazibara

Member III
Heya mate, polars are specific to the sails you are using. Best bet is to go out and build your own on days with different different wind conditions. We used to do this back in Seattle when we were beer can racing.
-p

steven

Sustaining Member
Avalon Navigation Systems has a theoretical calculator at http://www.avalon-routing.com/en/polars/
Find a boat close to the same specs as the E35-2.
Then go to "custom" to modify with specs. If you don't have the E35-2 specs handy try https://sailboatdata.com
You can work with differing sail combinations and sail areas, but suggest you start with 100% fore triangle to get a baseline.

If you start with a hull that is similar to the E32-2 , the site will fill in parameters you may not have e.g., draft at waterline and draft of canoe body. Results are not very sensitive to these parameters if you are reasonably close, so you can mix in their specs for estimating.

I tried it for the E35-2. The resulting hull speed is very close to hull speed estimates from other calculators.
And close hauled I have some actuals that appear match up pretty well (note that the polar is true wind. Actuals will be apparent wind so you have to correct for that to compare).

--Steve

Solarken

Member II
I’m running about 500’ of sail total. Was doing 5.4 knots 110° off the wind last week with jib only. It’s a process I guess. Taking time but it’s like everything. You keep learning. I single-hand 99% of the time. Gets to be some work!

Thank You for your inputs.