E34-2 Noise from sliding doors on storage shelves

Phr3d

Member II
Good day all,

We spent a week in the boat, just got back. I was trying to identify a noise outside when I realized it was the sliding doors in the head, aft cabin, and main cabin tilting back-and-forth as the boat rolled at the moorings. Only noticeable at night when everything else is quiet so you can sleep.

With 7 different sets of doors it became an interesting symphony. The larger sliders have a different pitch.

Has anyone identified a fix for this, or do the rest of you just enjoy harmonic and percussive white noise?

David Vaughn

Member III
Blogs Author
Our 31 Independence does that too.

We mostly just got used to it. Once you know what it is, it’s easier to treat as background noise. We look at it (listen to it?) like the sounds the fenders make when the wind blows you against the dock. I grew up with a grandfather clock in the house, so background noise that I know doesn’t bother me much.

If it’s really annoying, try jamming something soft, a rolled up towel, roll of toilet paper, etc, in the locker behind the sliding door. A better option would be shim the backs of the sliding doors so there is no longer a gap for them to rattle in, but not so tightly that they won’t move when you slide them.

David Vaughn

Member III
Blogs Author
A quick measure of our galley’s door shows a 1/4” for the track and 1/8” for the door slide, so 1/8” gap. Same for the ones in the head.

Your boat might be different but it’s likely whatever your measurement is, all the lockers on your boat are the same.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Good day all,

We spent a week in the boat, just got back. I was trying to identify a noise outside when I realized it was the sliding doors in the head, aft cabin, and main cabin tilting back-and-forth as the boat rolled at the moorings. Only noticeable at night when everything else is quiet so you can sleep.

With 7 different sets of doors it became an interesting symphony. The larger sliders have a different pitch.

Has anyone identified a fix for this, or do the rest of you just enjoy harmonic and percussive white noise?
Are they Plexiglas or wood"? All of ours are wood and make no noise. Of course, we are a much smaller boat.

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
We tried small felt feet that have adhesive on one side, like what you might use on the bottom of a flower vase. We stuck them on the back top edge of the door so there wasn’t room to rock back and forth. But the feet wouldn’t stay in place and made the doors difficult to slide, so we took them out. We’ve had several very calm nights this year and I never noticed any clicking. Perhaps I’m acclimated to the quiet clicking. I still notice the halyards quietly slapping inside the mast.

You might try small rubber wedges that you insert in the gap between the two doors. Insert them in the evening and remove them when necessary.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Teak veneer is available in 1/16" thickness in small quantities from Rockler and other sources. It is also available in self-adhesive strips. A narrow strip or two adhered to the back side of any loose doors should reduce the noise to an acceptable level.

Phr3d

Member II
I still notice the halyards quietly slapping inside the mast.
I now know that sound also.

The ocean sounds are quite peaceful and relaxing and I’m far more relaxed about the sounds of diesel slopping back and forth in the tank, the float for the tank gauge occasionally making a noise, the headsail blocks clacking, (they both sleep quietly on the nav table at night now) the water tanks sloshing, the previously mentioned slider doors and halyards, the creaking of the cabin sole at the salon, the occasion twang of the rig, and the engine bay cover croaking.

I think being able to identify them as non-problems helps me take my stress down a notch or so.