• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 Mast Rehab Project

Baslin

Member III
Well the mast project is done! Wow what a project. Took us about 30 days from start to finish. The following work was done:

1. Mast removed, sugar blasted and painted
2. Furuno Radar Installed
3. New Schaefer 2100 Furler
4. All new LED navigation lights
5. All New Sheaves
6. New Anemometer-Raymarine i60
7. AIS/VHF Antenna and Cable Replaced
8. All New Halyards
9. New Mast Mounted Winches
10. 2 New Spreaders made and mounted (we found a bent upper spreader)
11. All new Hayn standing rigging replaced.

Now we are just waiting on 2 new sails to be made and delivered so we can go sailing again.

Overall the project was fairly straight forward. No real big surprises. If anyone has any questions about the E38, feel free to ask. I have a much better understanding about the internals of the mast and how the masthead is rigged.....Glad its over!

Attachments

• Mast1.jpg
    Mast1.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 37
  • BentSpreader.jpg
    BentSpreader.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 35
  • MastWeld.jpg
    MastWeld.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 36
  • NewMast1.jpg
    NewMast1.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 37
  • NewMast2.jpg
    NewMast2.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 36
  • NewMast3.jpg
    NewMast3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 34
  • NewSpreader2.jpg
    NewSpreader2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 35
  • NewSpreader.jpg
    NewSpreader.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 36
  • SpreadersInstalled.jpg
    SpreadersInstalled.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 38
  • MastIn.jpg
    MastIn.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 38

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Glad to hear the job went OK. Did you paint it yourself? Did you make any upgrades to the boom?

Your naked masthead looks pretty much the same as my 1980 vintage. It looks like your spreader supports may be heavy bent pieces of aluminum that pass through the mast, as mine are. I only have a single retaining bolt for each spreader where you have two. Your spreader tips are quite different, too.

Anyway, the year-to-year mast differences are interesting, particularly if we are comparing original equipment. I went up the mast of a neighbor's 1985 E38 and that spar was totally different. I don't know if it was OEM or not. It had heavy welded spreader attachment fittings and a different masthead configuration. When we're asking questions about masts and booms it always is good to include pictures. Nice work.

Baslin

Member III
Craig,

I believe our mastheads are almost identical. Im not sure about your spreaders though. Once I removed the mast, I found a bent upper spreader. The two upper spreaders are new ones that I had to cut down and modify to accept the two pins that hold them in place. The upper spreader tips are different that the lowers. The spreaders do not go all the way through the mast. There is a large flange that passes through the mast for both the upper and the lower spreaders that sticks out about 4". The spreaders slide over these flanges and are then pinned in place.

I didnt paint it myself. The company that I work for does a lot of business with an industrial blasting and coating company so they gave me a heck of a deal on "sugar blasting" the mast and painting it for me.

As for the boom, I still have it disconnected from the mast. I did have the gooseneck fitting beefed up and machined with a bushing pressed in. I am in the process of replacing the boom end sheaves and replacing the outhaul and topping lift blocks and purchase.

Baslin

Member III
Thanks Chris!

Bahama rigging has a trailer so they picked it up and dropped it back off for me

markvone

Sustaining Member
Nice job,

Given that you had the whole thing apart and you sail in a hot, sunny climate, did you consider changing the color to white?

I have a black painted mast that I have buffed out once and is starting to look faded again. I think it would look better for longer if it were white.

Just curious,

Thanks,

Mark

Baslin

Member III
I thought about going with white but I figured since the boat was made from the factory with a black mast, I would put it back to the original color