• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Edgartown, MA - More than just a pretty face

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Cannot say enough good things about the community of Edgartown, on Martha's Vineyard. Not only is the place beautiful, and a great place to sail, but last week, I discovered the people are as impressive as the scenery.

We sailed there, on day 10 of a 20 day trip. Our third day there, we went bike riding on Chappaquiddick, when my wife suffered a terrible spill, fracturing her upper arm and shoulder. We had just passed a small community center, and a woman working there raced from the building to assist. She provided ice packs, water, bandages, and said she would notify the police, who were several hundred yards down the road. She flagged down a passing car, asked them to go to the police station, and within minutes, two officers pulled up to assist. They promptly called for an ambulance. One of the officers even returned our rental bikes to the mainland. The police and the EMTs were fabulous.

My wife required surgery, which they couldn't perform at the small community hospital on MV, so we needed to fly back to NJ promptly. We were supposed to sail out of Edgartown the next day, so I contacted the harbormaster, who told me not to worry, we could leave the boat there as long as needed. I also asked if he knew anyone that might be interested crewing her back to NJ. Within an hour, he found a couple capable hands, who at this moment are bringing her back.

There were also the doctors and nurses at MV hospital, who promptly treated my wife and were always willing to answer our many questions and requests. And the people of JetBlue, who made sure Kim was comfortable, both leaving MV and arriving at LaGuardia.

Can't tell you how grateful we are that the Edgartown community so willing assisted in making a stressful situation less stressful. Something we'll never forget. And when we hopefully sail back there next summer, we're going to make sure we stop to visit each of those people to let them know how grateful we were.

IMG_2203.jpeg