Ericson 27 Rudder post packing gland

Gablenl

Member I
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right thread. Noticing some drips from where the rudder post attached to the rudder. Maybe the packing gland? Is this normal, can it wait till I haul out in the fall or do I need to short haul to resolve asap? Pictures attached

Attachments

• 131B0078-3C42-4F88-AF18-FD35B9347CF9.jpeg
    131B0078-3C42-4F88-AF18-FD35B9347CF9.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 03F48CBF-C8EE-4C5C-88DA-AAE43CBDEF81.jpeg
    03F48CBF-C8EE-4C5C-88DA-AAE43CBDEF81.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 19

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The gland is above the waterline when the boat is in the slip, right? So probably the water comes in only when motoring or sailing.

You might check that. If it's only a little water I might put it off, and monitor.

But do you have to haul out change the packing? The photos suggest that the gland will come apart without much issue.

Gablenl

Member I
Thanks for the quick reply! I’m at a mooring. Maybe with the wave action water gets forced up? My motor is a little oversized so it sits low in the back. Is it normal for it to leak a bit like a packing gland on a prop shaft? What’s concerning is the drip when at the mooring.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not designed to drip.

Do you have a grease fitting on the rudder tube? Maybe not, but the models that do find grease in the tube prevents inflow.

A few drips wouldn't bother me, but repacking will probably solve it. I'd probably take off the bronze gland cap and see what happens. If water pours in, well, I'd shrug and wait for a haulout. If not, I'd read all our threads on flax repacking and note the total confusion about sizes and methods of picking out the old stuff and then plunge in. I might make an appointment with a chiropractor first since there's usually no room in there to work.

Gablenl

Member I
I have a zerk at the top where the tiller attaches to the rudder shaft. There might be one at the packing gland but I don't think so. It is insanely cramped and hard to get to. I'm a little nervous undoing the bolts while in the water.

Ill read the other threads. I should have searched before posting. Thanks.

Gaviate

Member III
I would measure top of that gland to say, the bottom of a bilge pump discharge line, or something else that passes through the stern in that area, maybe there is a thru-bolted boarding ladder. Something that you can then measure on outside and see accurate distance to the water. Then compare and if gland is above water level then no issue in disassembly and repair....otherwise on the hard is best.

My boat also has a zerk at top only and a nylon bushing on the bottom where exits the hull. The major difference with mine is that the rudder shaft is housed in a fiberglass tube which is closed from hull to cockpit floor. Probably gets lots of water but it can only go out the way it came in so no worries. No such packing gland on my boat....curious why but suspect its an age thing!