• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 32-I, Scorpion or 5.5

frick

Member III
Back in my home waters in Michigan (Back in the Day), we had a large 6 meter, and 30 Square fleet. They are wonderful boats and just look fantastic under sail. At one time, the 5,5 Meter was an Olympic Class racing boat.
The PHRF rating is close to 200 depending on which fleet your in.

Barrymark

I viewed and sailed this boat the other day. Very beautiful diamond in the rough. The restoration work that had been done is good. Still many unknowns without a proper survey. The boat had been in the water for some time , and the bottom was fouled from not being maintained. Boat felt sluggish, but it pointed incredibly well. I am considering taking on the restoration, but with delivery to SW FL, and bringing it to a yard that can remove years of paint, prep work, and repainting with Algrip, is making it cost prohibitive.
Once completed, this will be a stunning daysailer, but when it comes time to part with it, the resale value would not make sense. That being said, I have not completely ruled it out, and would appreciate any thoughts.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
I viewed and sailed this boat the other day. Very beautiful diamond in the rough. The restoration work that had been done is good. Still many unknowns without a proper survey. The boat had been in the water for some time , and the bottom was fouled from not being maintained. Boat felt sluggish, but it pointed incredibly well. I am considering taking on the restoration, but with delivery to SW FL, and bringing it to a yard that can remove years of paint, prep work, and repainting with Algrip, is making it cost prohibitive.
Once completed, this will be a stunning daysailer, but when it comes time to part with it, the resale value would not make sense. That being said, I have not completely ruled it out, and would appreciate any thoughts.
I certainly don't know any boat owner, who took on a project, making a profit off of their efforts. I've worked hard over the years to improve all of the boats I've owned. Never made a profit on any of them. But when I sold them I never had a buyer complain that they were unsatisfied with what they paid for. To me it's a hobby. Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

m19ob61

just saw (photos, some text) of Scorpions and quickly got a little obsessed. And after seeing recent sales of the very nice Scorpion in NC, and a comparable Columbia Sabre in CA, a little depressed. Is this where to find out if one comes up for sale? Include me, include me! Just joined (looking at other, more practical boats also) but I expect I’ll have to be patient regarding the Scorpion.