Ericson 41 Florida - Norway

sveinutne

Member III
Long time no seen. Sorry for the slow update, but I have been busy working on the boat. Now it is mostly the hydraulic parts that is left to do before it can be splashed back into the sea, so in two weeks I hope it is ready.</SPAN>

Attachments

• IMG_7771-s.JPG
    IMG_7771-s.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7772-s.JPG
    IMG_7772-s.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 49

sveinutne

Member III
Thank you so much for your nice words. After all this work it is nice to hear that it looks good.</SPAN>
Regards</SPAN>
Svein</SPAN>

sveinutne

Member III
I got some more parts today, so I can start mounting the gearbox in the bilge of the boat. It was only two small parts of 10 mm steal that needed to be cut by water jet, but the company that can do that had vacation till now. The next I am waiting for is the hydraulic sump tank, which some friends are welding for me. If I get all the parts I need this coming week, I might splash the boat on Saturday 3th of September.</SPAN>

Attachments

• IMG_7838-s.JPG
    IMG_7838-s.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7839-s.JPG
    IMG_7839-s.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 48

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Prop shaft & Stuffing box

Svein:

Just a thought......I know that you have gone through a monumental amount of money, but in looking at the photos, my thought is that you would have much less friction, and a dry bilge with a PNY Shaft Seal.....there are some interesting comments on various threads here at eyo....

As I said.....Just a thought...

Looks like quite a setup.....it will be interesting to see your posts once you splash and put the system through its paces.....

Good Luck

sveinutne

Member III
Hi Mort,</SPAN>
You might be right. I just replaced the old shaft seal with a new of same type. It is only the stuffing that might have improved. I think it is synthetic fiber impregnated with TFPE (Teflon), so I hope it will not give too much friction, or too much water. Maybe I will start with low friction and more water dripping, and tighten it after it has run some hours. I will also lose a lot of power from the hydraulic, but most of the losses will be heat, and I will try to use that heat to heat the inside of the boat, but the friction in the shaft will be difficult to use, so it will be a loss. </SPAN>

sveinutne

Member III
When I started on this rebuilding project, I did not have a clear plan of what to do, so it was done as needed. The V-drive was broken and people in Florida recommended that I put in hydraulic transmission instead of a new V-drive. This would give me more freedom when it comes to engine etc.</SPAN>
What I see now is that I have been very lucky. I will take picture of the bilge and show the parts mounted down in the bilge. I have 5 cm free space between the packing box and the transmission, so if the space down in the bilge had been 10 cm shorter, I would have some problems.</SPAN>

sveinutne

Member III
IMG_7848-s.JPGIMG_7850-s.JPGIMG_7851-s.JPGIMG_7852-s.JPG
I got the hydraulic pump in place last night. It is only ten bolts, but I spent two whole evening to get the parts to fit and drill the holes in the right place.</SPAN>

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
To mount the hydraulic pump was the easy part. The hydraulic motor was much harder to get in place, and the space is very limited. Did a test mounting tonight, and was almost shocked to see how little space that is left. I will have to remove the old brackets used for the v-drive to get room for the hydraulic tubing.

IMG_7846-s.JPGIMG_7853-s.JPGIMG_7854-s.JPG</SPAN>

sveinutne

Member III
I thought I was lucky with the position of the hydraulic motor, but today I learned that I also need return tubing from the back of the motor. The hydraulic pump does not have this. I think it is because the pump only run in one direction and then this can be done internal inside the pump, but a motor that can run in both directions need a low pressure outlet for the oil that is leaking over the bearings, if this outlet is blocked the pressure will build up on the wrong side of the bearing and that is not good for the motor. So I have to put in a tube in the back of the motor where I only have 2 cm of cleaners, so something got to give. I do not know how to fix this problem, but I will have to solve it later tonight.</SPAN></SPAN>
The splash was delayed from saturday 3th of September till thursday 8th of September, so it is only four days left:0

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
Some progress and some new problems.</SPAN>
The return tubing from the hydraulic motor will fit. I might have to remove 5 mm of wood, but that is not a problem. The main problem now is that the company selling me the hydraulic pump and motor also sent me the connection ports, but they fit only to the pump and not on the motor. I will call them tomorrow morning. I only tested the connection on the pump and saw that it fit, and the motor looks almost identical so I did not test it. I should learn never to thing it will fit, always remember to check it.</SPAN>
The oil tank looks OK, but I have to put it under pressure. </SPAN>

Attachments

• IMG_7865-s.JPG
    IMG_7865-s.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7873-s.JPG
    IMG_7873-s.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7876-s.JPG
    IMG_7876-s.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7877-s.JPG
    IMG_7877-s.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7881-s.JPG
    IMG_7881-s.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
The nut for the pack box was grinned down a little bit by help of an electric drill connected to the drive shaft. Where the driveshaft was taken down to 25 mm I taped on some sand paper and let the nut spin around for some minutes over the sandpaper. Now I can turn the nut 3-4 turns, so I put in four rings of 1/8 Teflon. I was hoping to use three rings of 3/16 but that was not available in Trondheim.</SPAN>

Attachments

• IMG_7866-s.JPG
    IMG_7866-s.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7883-s.JPG
    IMG_7883-s.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
The supplier of the hydraulic pump and motor and connections apologized for their mistake, and promised to send the connection I need overnight. </SPAN></SPAN>

sveinutne

Member III
She is in the water, and the pack box was leaking at first, but then I tighten it one more turn, and it started to only drip. After two turns it was almost tight. During the night about 1 liter of water had entered the boat. I have to go to work and later on Friday attend some other appointments, so I will not be able to do anything with the boat before Saturday. But the splash was so gentle that it could not have been better. </SPAN>

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Splash!!!!

Svein:

I know the elation you must feel after all of your effort.....

My wish for you is......

May your engine run strong, smooth, and be reliable.......and when you turn it off, may the wind always be at you back.....

Best of luck and good fortune....

Regards

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Congrats!!!! followed this thread for many posts (I think it is the longest on the site!) and like a good book it is nice to get to the happy ending part! Edd:egrin:

sveinutne

Member III
Thank you all for the good support. Here are some pictures when it was leaving the garden.

Attachments

• IMG_7943-s.JPG
    IMG_7943-s.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7918-s.JPG
    IMG_7918-s.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7942-s.JPG
    IMG_7942-s.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7947-s.JPG
    IMG_7947-s.JPG