• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

FORESTAY TOGGLE ?

morning star

GREETINGS TO EVERYONE. THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS FORUM.
MY 1980 38 footer has a tired looking tang. See attached images. It measures 5 1/8” tall and 2” wide. The clevis pins are 5/8” dia.
Has anyone sourced these? Since I am remotely located I am hoping it comes off the shelf ready and can be fed-ex delivered.

Attachments

• 1D37A676-AF45-4FC2-AC7D-A21CE81E66DB.jpg
    1D37A676-AF45-4FC2-AC7D-A21CE81E66DB.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 5C5F523C-8357-4A60-AF6A-6D495767FA19.jpg
    5C5F523C-8357-4A60-AF6A-6D495767FA19.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 20

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What's wrong with the tang? The 504 rust is typical--is there also a crack?
(I reoriented the photos.)

tang 1D37A676-AF45-4FC2-AC7D-A21CE81E66DB.jpeg...tang 2 5C5F523C-8357-4A60-AF6A-6D495767FA19.jpeg

morning star

Thank you both for your replies. Here is another pic of my tang that shows my concern. I am worried about the "forked fracturing" look it has. When i zoom on the pic, it looks scary. Perhaps i should simply monitor it closely and look for "changes".

Attachments

• IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 37

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes, you'll want to replace that. Here's what mine looks like. A pair of identical stainless plates and a standard toggle shouldn't be too hard to source. The plates might be the most difficult but wouldn't be too hard to fabricate. I've never seen a fitting like yours. It seems it would restrict the side-to-side rotation anyway.

20170821_160650-small.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That does look scary to me. You could scrub it with household rust remover and then use a magnifying glass.

We're looking for hairline cracks and the photo seems to show them. Crevice corrosion.

Talk to the furler manufacturer. Then Garhauer, who are happy to comment on photos and could make you a new one. You could also take the part to a local welder who might be willing to copy it.

morning star

Yes, I will polish and photograph again to send out for opinions. I have sent a pic to our one and only rigging shop and am waiting for a reply.
You have validated my concern. Thanks to you all.
Sincerely,
Morning Star and her skinned knuckles crew!

markvone

Sustaining Member
Morning star's toggle rotates the pins to 90 degrees apart.
Who is the furler mfg?
Can the lower clevis of the furler drum be re-oriented 90 degrees to simplify the tang - like Craig's (Footrope)?
I would plan to replace both pins at the same time as the tang. You can polish them and check for cracks but how long do you want the forestay all apart? Check the forestay chainplate attached to the bow while you are poking around up there as well.

Mark

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Slightly off topic: How do you like your windlass install? Looks like bolted to a reinforced chain locker lid. A review of the brand and installation would add to the windlass thread here.

morning star

T
Morning star's toggle rotates the pins to 90 degrees apart.
Who is the furler mfg?
Can the lower clevis of the furler drum be re-oriented 90 degrees to simplify the tang - like Craig's (Footrope)?
I would plan to replace both pins at the same time as the tang. You can polish them and check for cracks but how long do you want the forestay all apart? Check the forestay chainplate attached to the bow while you are poking around up there as well.

Mark
Thank you Mark for the advice and tips. I just received an invite from our local rigger to discuss all the above and I will see them soon. Simplifying might be the “go” word, as the Harken rig accommodates variations on the same theme, namely flexibility and strength.

morning star

H
Slightly off topic: How do you like your windlass install? Looks like bolted to a reinforced chain locker lid. A review of the brand and installation would add to the windlass thread here.
Hmmm Christian, a fine idea to share this design. The lids were removed by p/o and the whole area glassed in. Then a hawspipe installed serving the bolted windlass. I quite like it. We can share more, and share on the thread you mention come October 2021. Until then, gotta dive !