Fuel disposal?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I slurped some fuel out of the lowest corner of my fuel tank this past weekend. Just to see what was there and get rid of anything that might be removable. (*)

I ended up with about 3 quarts of fuel and ... now I'm not sure what to do with it. I suppose I could manually strain it (or set up a way to "polish" it through a pump-fed filter) but, for less than a gallon it hardly seems worth it.

My marina has a waste-oil disposal tank... which is great, but the sign on the wall says "no gas", and that there is a big cost to processing oil that's been contaminated with gas. What I don't know is whether or not diesel is considered "gas" for their purposes, and didn't want to assume.

Anyone have a tip about where I can take this? I know fire-stations used to accept unwanted gas in gas-cans... will they take a water jug half full of diesel?

Bruce

(*) What came out was... fuel. No sign of water (yay!). I did get a small amount (a couple tablespoons full) of black sediment, which sank pretty quickly to the bottom of the container. Not granular, didn't appear to be metallic, my *guess* is that it was the start of a bio-bloom of some kind that was killed by the Bio-Bor I add every season, and the stuff precipitated out of the fuel and sank to the bottom of the tank. But that's a completely uninformed guess. There's no sign of similar sediment in the bottom of my Racor filter bowl, so... whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be circulating through the system.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
A lot of counties around here have a "household hazardous waste" drop-off that will take things like this. You typically give up the container it's stored in.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's hard to get rid of 5 gallons of diesel here. Drive and hour or two to "Household Waste Disposal." Not allowed to dump into the excellent network of oil recycling stations, with their inviting convenient tanks with parking and grounds littered with illegal individual containers containing substances arguably "oil". I decline to say what I have done.

Thus does Satan tempt the faithful.

RedDog

Member II
I slurped some fuel out of the lowest corner of my fuel tank this past weekend. Just to see what was there and get rid of anything that might be removable. (*)

I ended up with about 3 quarts of fuel and ... now I'm not sure what to do with it. I suppose I could manually strain it (or set up a way to "polish" it through a pump-fed filter) but, for less than a gallon it hardly seems worth it.

My marina has a waste-oil disposal tank... which is great, but the sign on the wall says "no gas", and that there is a big cost to processing oil that's been contaminated with gas. What I don't know is whether or not diesel is considered "gas" for their purposes, and didn't want to assume.

Anyone have a tip about where I can take this? I know fire-stations used to accept unwanted gas in gas-cans... will they take a water jug half full of diesel?

Bruce

(*) What came out was... fuel. No sign of water (yay!). I did get a small amount (a couple tablespoons full) of black sediment, which sank pretty quickly to the bottom of the container. Not granular, didn't appear to be metallic, my *guess* is that it was the start of a bio-bloom of some kind that was killed by the Bio-Bor I add every season, and the stuff precipitated out of the fuel and sank to the bottom of the tank. But that's a completely uninformed guess. There's no sign of similar sediment in the bottom of my Racor filter bowl, so... whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be circulating through the system.
I have been faced with this problem too. Dump it into the waste oil tank at a Marina or auto parts store. Diesel is not “gas”. Diesel creates no explosion hazard.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
It's hard to get rid of 5 gallons of diesel here. Drive and hour or two to "Household Waste Disposal." Not allowed to dump into the excellent network of oil recycling stations, with their inviting convenient tanks with parking and grounds littered with illegal individual containers containing substances arguably "oil". I decline to say what I have done.

Thus does Satan tempt the faithful.
For L.A. County residents there is the S.A.F.E. Collection Center in San Pedro. I have disposed of contaminated diesel there in the past.

RedDog

Member II
For L.A. County residents there is the S.A.F.E. Collection Center in San Pedro. I have disposed of contaminated diesel there in the past.
Yes, Satan does tempt the faithful. I would go into a NAPA store with my oil drain pan and buy some oil or other products you will need and you will find them very accommodating. Just dump it there. Their waste oil service deals with whatever they find in that tank without missing a beat.

hjohnson

S/V Sagres
We just had to dispose of about 8 litres of diesel scavanged from our bilge, and about 20 litres of contaminated bilge water thanks to a flub with the primary fuel filter on our engine. Asked at the yard at the rendezvous this year, and they took it and charged us $1/litre to dispose of it, and a few more dollars to deal with the garbage bag full of saturated oilsorbs. I would think that most yards would have something like this.