Fuel Filter Warning

Bolo

Contributing Partner
This sounds unbelievable but it’s true. I spent the better part of a day doing my yearly service on my Universal M-25XP engine. Engine oil change, transmission fluid change, zinc change and, of course, filter changes. One was the secondary fuel filter. The Universal / Westbeke #298854 that screws into the side of the engine but I couldn’t get mine to screw on. Why? I discovered that the filter had no internal threads cut into it! (Whatttt?!) So I had to go to my local marine parts store nearby, which in my case is Bay Shore Marine In Annapolis, to purchase another one. I took my defective filter to show them but not to get a refund because I buy from three or four other sources and I didn’t probably buy the defective filter from them. To my great surprise they pull out the same filter from behind the counter WITH NO THREADS! It was the second one returned to them recently. Looking back on my account they couldn’t find any record of me buying the #298854 filter from them so no refund and no surprise.

So I sent an email to Westerbeke’s customer support which they promptly replied to and said that they could help but I’d need to show them a copy of a receipt or invoice. RIGHT. I usually buy my filters two at a time and keep them on board. Keeping receipts for something as simple as a filter would never cross my mind. It‘s not like I was buying a VHF radio or something expensive. So now I’m going to have to check all the Westbeke filters when I buy them which means taking them out of the box to check for threads or lack of them. Below is a photo I took of the old filter left and new threadless one right. So filter buyers beware!

IMG_2692.jpeg

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Wix makes that filter available at an auto parts store. As you probably know, Westerbeke actually makes nothing, they just put their name on stuff they buy and resell. But thanks for the heads up.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Our PO had a NAPA 3390 fuel filter on there, which we've just been replacing every year. It's $20.19 on their website. IIRC from the box the filtration is 10 micron.

jtsai

Member III
Quality control has gone downhill in the last few years. I bought a Breyer's mint chocolate chip ice cream and found zero chocolate chip inside. Did someone forget to pull the mint chocolate chip level? Breyer made it right with a coupon though.

1718658756771.jpeg